Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Alpine CDA-118M vs. WS 420SQ for Volume Control

This is sort of a Family Guy "Would you rather..." kinda deal. Getting my order list together for speakers and amps. I need to control the volume of the tower speakers and in-boats speakers separately. For this, I planned on ordering the WS420SQ. However, I still have the original head unit in my '04 'Star (XMD3 or whatever it's called). It seems the Alpine CDA-118M head unit also has zone control (appears 2 zones vs 420's 3 zones). I've experience way too much mission creep with this stereo re-do, and thus I can get either the Alpine head unit or the 420SQ. As far as the Mr Microphone aspect of the 420, yea, could be useful occasionally, but that is not a big selling point for me. Talk to me oh wise stereophiles. New Alpine head unit or the 420SQ?

For sake of the big picture, here's what's happening: (2) Rev 10s on the tower, 6 SX650s in the boat, 10" FA sub, Syn6 for in-boats and sub and Syn 4 for the two Revs.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I have the 118 in my boat. I also have the marine remote.

The dual zone is the main reason I bought it. The thing I like best about the Alpine is I can control the volume with remote on the transom or the handheld wireless remote. With the transom remote I can change the zones and control the volume.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
I would encourage you to get the WS420SQ... your system will sound so much better regardless of your HU.

I would use the your current HU and have you system install by a knowledgeable person who has a history with the WS gear. Any one can install equipment but a talented individual can tune and get the most out of what you paid for to get the WS gear.

Even if you had to wait one more season to upgrade HU's your list is going to redefine your system...
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Well, looks like the 118 is discontinued (although sellers still have them). In fact, if you go to the Alpine site and click on marine products, no head units pop up. None in the receivers sections I checked as well. Unless I missed it, could it be that Alpine is already getting out of the marine head unit business?? Don't know. Hope not as the reviews for the 118 are outstanding and I am looking forward to their offerings next season as that's probably the route I should go. Thus, Zach, I think you're probably right (about the 420).
Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Crutchfield still has them and the remotes are all over eBay.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
MC Fanatic

I went with the 420SQ and will use my old, but still works fine, head unit. I did call Alpine and sure enough, Alpine is discontinuing ALL marine products. I gotta say, that sucks. Based on all the positive reviews I read about the 118, it seems Alpine is making a big mistake. Plus, I really like their remotes. I realize some sellers still have them, but not going to get one as I worry about future support (if/when i need to replace a remote, etc.). Dang.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
I went with the 420SQ and will use my old, but still works fine, head unit. I did call Alpine and sure enough, Alpine is discontinuing ALL marine products. I gotta say, that sucks. Based on all the positive reviews I read about the 118, it seems Alpine is making a big mistake. Plus, I really like their remotes. I realize some sellers still have them, but not going to get one as I worry about future support (if/when i need to replace a remote, etc.). Dang.
Yeah, after seeing the bad news the first thing I did was order an MC2 off of ebay as a back.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
Alpine is discontinuing ALL marine products.
That sucks!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
too bad about the Alpine discontinuation. I had purchased A WS420 and sold it after seeing how many long RCA jacks ( complication and potential noise induction) and the potential of drunk people blowing up my system buy playing with the controls on it. I like the dual zone control of the Alpine but I dont use it as much as I thought I would. The WS420 also works as a line driver which is a feature I miss.
Good sound starts at the head unit/source, it seems less important now though with every body playing MP3 thru an ipod, Still I liked the Alpine sound better than the Clarion.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:41 AM

The Alpine Facebook page.

Has Alpine stopped making marine head units and remotes?

Alpine Electronics Can't give specific details, but don't count us out of the marine industry