Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
Nice work on saving another MC from eternal storage.

She looks great.....
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
TT Regular

I just ordered a Seadek faux teak swim platform pad today, hopefully that will round out the exterior work for awhile...

The hinges on these sunpads are so weak and brittle so I'm having my brother cut out a new hinge bracket from stainless. The new one will tie both sides together. He lasered out a cardboard template for a test fit and it fit great this afternoon. Should have the final product sometime this week
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 AM
TT Regular

My brother finished the new hinge for me and it fits,looks, and works great! It's cut out of 3/16" stainless and TIG welded together.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM
TT Regular

Also, the ballast came in last week and is just waiting for a nice day to test it out. I got 2x750 bags for the v-drive compartments and 2x370 ski locker bags for the ski locker and front walkway. Rear bags probably won't be full when wakeboarding.

Any suggestions on bag placement for wakesurfing in this boat?? I'm thinking full 750 sack on port side with the full 370 locker sack but I'm not too sure where I should start on placement of the other 2 bags (if necessary). I'm hoping I can dial in a decent surf wake this weekend
Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Very nice progress. I'm basically doing the same thing and your thread has been encouraging and informational especially with the motor pics.

Great Job!!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig View Post
Very nice progress. I'm basically doing the same thing and your thread has been encouraging and informational especially with the motor pics.

Great Job!!
Thanks! It's been a fun project, frustrating at times but overall it's great to know the boat inside and out. Plus the added satisfaction of knowing that you did all the work is pretty cool too

You went way more in depth on the cleaning than I did, after reading through your thread again now I want to rip out my interior and get to cleaning! haha. I'll see if I can dig up some good carnage pictures from the original motor... it was pretty bad. 2 snapped connecting rods punched a couple holes in the oil pan, then let the pistons hit the valves on a few cylinders, and to cap it off both rods wrapped themselves around the block on the bottom of the cylinder bores and took a small chunk out of the block.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
Where did you get your Mastercraft side decals? I have a '93 Maristar 225 that needs new decals and I really like yours.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Thanks! It's been a fun project, frustrating at times but overall it's great to know the boat inside and out. Plus the added satisfaction of knowing that you did all the work is pretty cool too

You went way more in depth on the cleaning than I did, after reading through your thread again now I want to rip out my interior and get to cleaning! haha. I'll see if I can dig up some good carnage pictures from the original motor... it was pretty bad. 2 snapped connecting rods punched a couple holes in the oil pan, then let the pistons hit the valves on a few cylinders, and to cap it off both rods wrapped themselves around the block on the bottom of the cylinder bores and took a small chunk out of the block.
You mentioned about recleaning the interior, you've probably done it the right way - you cleaned it up some and USED it!! I guess my timeline is working out okay, I've been waiting on the machine shop, I should have the assembled short block back next week so I've had time to clean it up. It is nice to go thru the boat and see how things are assembled, if there's problems later on I should be able to fix it easier.

Once again, great job and ENJOY it!!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
Where did you get your Mastercraft side decals? I have a '93 Maristar 225 that needs new decals and I really like yours.

I really like the look of them, the old decals just seemed way too small for the size of the boat. I got the decals from Waterskis.com, here's the links...

Side Domed Decals:
http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft...omed_decal.htm

Transom Domed Decal:
http://www.waterskis.com/758451-p/ma...omed_trnsm.htm
Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Boat looks great! Your hard work has really paid off.