Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 205v
99 205v

Well, I'm a sucker for a deal. Both houses I've owned have been foreclosures and my first boat was a Bayliner with a carb problem. Cleaned the Bayliner up, stuck a monster tower on it, used it for 3 years, and turned a profit. (I realize boats have profit approx.0005% of the time.) now I've Had this situation fall into my lap.

Backstory: shop had a 205V in for a new tranny. Customer never came to get it, turned it over to shop. Shop liquidates all their belongings and this boat gets wrapped up in it. KNOWN: water in oil and motor was not winterized. Boat ran when brought to shop. UNKNOWN: pretty much everything else. I've been given first dibs on boat due to a friend. If I pass it'll sell 5 mins later. Don't want to disclose price in case I decide to flip later but will say <10,000. I'm going to lay eyes on the boat on Wed morning with cash in hand. I know boat isn't trashed, but not exactly loved like she deserved.

What particulars do I need to be looking at that I may overlook in my eagerness? Can I detect tranny or vdrive issues by turning prop?

Pics will follow on d-day
Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 205v
[quote=dbismyname;1218788]Well, I'm a sucker for a deal. Both houses I've owned have been foreclosures and my first boat was a Bayliner with a carb problem. Cleaned the Bayliner up, stuck a monster tower on it, used it for 3 years, and turned a profit. (I realize boats have profit approx.0005% of the time.) now I've Had this situation fall into my lap.

Backstory: shop had a 205V in for a new tranny. Customer never came to get it, turned it over to shop. Shop liquidates all their belongings and this boat gets wrapped up in it. KNOWN: water in oil and motor was not winterized. Boat ran when brought to shop. UNKNOWN: pretty much everything else. I've been given first dibs on boat due to a friend. If I pass it'll sell 5 mins later. Don't want to disclose price in case I decide to flip later but will say <10,000. I'm going to lay eyes on the boat on Wed morning with cash in hand. I know boat isn't trashed, but not exactly loved like she deserved.

What particulars do I need to be looking at that I may overlook in my eagerness? Can I detect tranny or vdrive issues by turning prop?

I would hope its <$5,000 I just bought a 2000 205v for $6,000 and it just has cosmetic issues. You are talking about $$ and hours if you need a motor and tranny.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
$6K for a 2000 205V - drive it like you stole it - cuz you did... regarding the other 205V - water in oil - worst case cracked block - best case a submersion? maybe sank a bit from too much ballast ... plus a trans rebuild or new so 2K for for the trans.

here's a link for a decent used boat checklist.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=5427
Old 03-01-2016, 10:59 AM
TT Regular

I didn't type all that clearly last night. It got a new transmission last year. Then the customer couldn't pay so he abandoned it. Dealership noted the water in the oil. I've budgeted the worst case for drive train at 6k. So I think I'll have some room in there. I'm budgeting the boat in full refurbished condition as being worth 22-25k in my market
Old 03-01-2016, 12:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
[quote=Bstorin;1218875]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbismyname View Post
Well, I'm a sucker for a deal. Both houses I've owned have been foreclosures and my first boat was a Bayliner with a carb problem. Cleaned the Bayliner up, stuck a monster tower on it, used it for 3 years, and turned a profit. (I realize boats have profit approx.0005% of the time.) now I've Had this situation fall into my lap.

I would hope its <$5,000 I just bought a 2000 205v for $6,000 and it just has cosmetic issues. You are talking about $$ and hours if you need a motor and tranny.
$6k??? wow I got schooled on my 2001 for $20k... plus work... 3 years ago...

less than $10k and if you have to put in a whole drive line for 6sih then you are okay.. the seats etc would have to be in good shape though... probably a break even... if interior work needed...
Old 03-01-2016, 04:33 PM
TT Regular

Went and took the first peeks, weather is bad so just did a once over.
Interior is 3 years old. Side seat from observer to rear bench has been installed. Tower speakers, perfect pass, transom LEDs, mostly JL audio equipment. Boat starts and runs, spits milky oil out of intake while running. Fresh oil turns milky quickly. Trailer in 9/10 condition with new tires.

So from a price of admission standpoint, I'm satisfied. Now to start diagnosing my freeze damaged motor. Where do I start with oil coming from intake?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
.take the plugs out and look for the wet one... could be other items too.. leaking manifold etc.. start with the spark plugs... then go from there...
Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V. 1982 S&S Powerslot (sold).
Not to hijack the thread, but... I want to see a pic of this $6k 2000 205V. I think that might be an eBay scam.
Nevermind. I found his post and pics on the $6k boat. That's what it was worth.

Last edited by Olaff; 03-01-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: update info
Old 03-02-2016, 07:34 AM
TT Regular

I've read his thread as well. Close to the same boat but no thrashed interior on mine. And now that I'm taking possession today I'll disclose, $7k.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbismyname View Post
I've read his thread as well. Close to the same boat but no thrashed interior on mine. And now that I'm taking possession today I'll disclose, $7k.
Sounds like a score! Welcome to the club. Cant wait to see pics and progress!