Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 02 X-30
So after getting the tranny out, this is what we found. This does not seem very normal and could have potentially been a very dangerous situation. The entire bottom of the bellhousing has been sliced through by the missing "blade" from the damper plate. Good thing it went through the bottom and not the top!!

Will add pics once the site is fixed......
Old 07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
TT Regular

Ok, so since the pics will now upload I figured I'd share these. Like I stated before, it seems like we got lucky as this could've ended very badly had the damper decided to exit the bell housing through the top.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I may have to do something similar to 1998 Maristar 225. (Same hull as yours) While on the lake yesterday I heard an odd sound come from the back of the boat. Upon investigating my bilge this evening, I found a piece of a spring that I can only assume came from the drive dampner. Taking it to the shop tomorrow.

Last edited by jsturvey; 07-30-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtexX30 View Post
Ok, so since the pics will now upload I figured I'd share these. Like I stated before, it seems like we got lucky as this could've ended very badly had the damper decided to exit the bell housing through the top.
Holy crap! I think I'd need to sit down and drink something after seeing that on my engine.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
WOW!!! My plate started to get loud also then my motor blew,so I replaced it when I had my motor out.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Holy crap! I think I'd need to sit down and drink something after seeing that on my engine.
TRUST ME I sat down and drank ALOT..lol It happened at about 12:30am, with a boatload of people, about 5 minutes from the ramp. We had plenty of time to reflect on it while we were waiting on the towboat service. $187 for a 20 minute tow and that included the guy pushing our boat onto the trailer. After I paid him (of course) he proceeded to tell me that TowBoat US has a membership deal thats ~$65 a year which includes 3 tows........yeah had some drinks after that also...
Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X star 205
There is an updated dampner plate with sealed springs. Make sure you get the new one. Not the old style that broke. Seen these fail alot once MC went to splined shafts. Seams like the splined shaft cause some bad vibes if the motor alignment isn't perfect. Also check the couple on the front of the shaft. The face of the coupler have been getting chewed up pretty bad as well. Look at the 1/8 lip on the inside of the coupler. It should have a nice sharp edge to it. Not rounded off or any grooves to the raised lip on the inside of the coupler that faces the tranny. Mike
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BAY Runner View Post
There is an updated dampner plate with sealed springs. Make sure you get the new one. Not the old style that broke. Seen these fail alot once MC went to splined shafts. Seams like the splined shaft cause some bad vibes if the motor alignment isn't perfect. Also check the couple on the front of the shaft. The face of the coupler have been getting chewed up pretty bad as well. Look at the 1/8 lip on the inside of the coupler. It should have a nice sharp edge to it. Not rounded off or any grooves to the raised lip on the inside of the coupler that faces the tranny. Mike
I think TSR will be installing that updated dampner plate in my boat. At least they mentioned it when that called to give me a status update. I'll know in a couple days.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BAY Runner View Post
We put this one in:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140019

It made a huge difference. We also put in a dripless shaft seal and new strut bearings. The boat runs awesome. I didn't really pay attention to the shaft coupler but the old packing nut had been worn down pretty bad on one side so I know our alignment was way off. Also, I noticed when we pulled the tranny out, it was missing the nut on the motor mount on one side. The one that clamps the motor mount shaft to the tranny itself. Not sure how that was missing but im sure it was causing excessive vibration to the whole assembly. What a difference that damper makes....not even the slightest "clunk" or any kind of noise when you shift it in gear. All in, the repair, and upgrade to the dripless, cost ~$900.00 including having our prop re-worked. We did it all ourself. Yesterday was our first day out.....so glad to be back on the water..