Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-07-2017, 11:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 82 Stars and Stripes
82 stars and stripes restomod project with my son

I picked up this boat with the attention of a father/son project. I told my son as long as he helped from start to finish the boat would be his. I really want him to be mechanically smart, plus I really want to learn more myself. The boat is in rough shape but I paid next to nothing for it so here we go. He is 10 so we are on a 4 year time table for completion. First order is tearing the motor apart because that is his biggest interest. Since we are completely redoing the motor what would be some good engine mods to get best performance out of it? I would really like for it to be able to pull up my wife, two kids and myself at the same time for a nice Christmas card when we are done. My plan at this point is to keep the outside almost completely stock and upgrade the inside to newer boat looks. I want to fiberglass the floor and Seadek it like the new boats and change the space age dash to something newer looking. Thanks in advance for the input on the engine. Trent
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to the family and congrats on getting a great project for you and your boy. My son was 14 when I picked up my 1977 project boat. I have really enjoyed all the time spent with him working and playing with the boat. Take lots of pics. I put together a really nice hardcover book at Shutterfly when we were a few years into it.

As far as engine mods go, you can add GT-40P heads, a cam with a little more to it, a improved aluminum intake manifold, and an electronic ignition system to it. Couple that with the correct prop and you will be very happy.

Post lots of pics here and don't hesitate to ask questions. There is a ton of knowledge here at your disposal.

If you are a Facebook guy, there are a couple pages there. One is dedicated to early Mastercrafts, and the other is for all Mastercraft boats.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/themastercraftproject/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1510325659228039/

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $289 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $425 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 03-07-2017, 12:14 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you very much
Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
Thank you very much
You're welcome.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 81 mastercraft stars & stripes 351w
You picked a nice project. I bought my 81 January of last year. I didn't do anything to it the first month so I'm about 13 months into it. I've redone the stringers and flooring , everything has been fiberglassed in. I've also rebuilt my engine and transmission. Should be firing it up in the next week or two. I installed gt40p heads a mild cam and Edelbrock aluminum intake. I've done the majority of this by myself, my son is 16 so baseball and girls take up a portion of his time, although he has been a help when needed. I think y'all will improve on your timetable. Do you know what tranny you have? It looks like a powerslot, in which case you will have no problem pulling the family. I will post some pics of mine when I have a chance if your interested. You will find a lot of info here. Another very good source is The MasterCraft Project on facebook. Thatsmrmastercraft will also be of help to you im sure.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
You picked a nice project. I bought my 81 January of last year. I didn't do anything to it the first month so I'm about 13 months into it. I've redone the stringers and flooring , everything has been fiberglassed in. I've also rebuilt my engine and transmission. Should be firing it up in the next week or two. I installed gt40p heads a mild cam and Edelbrock aluminum intake. I've done the majority of this by myself, my son is 16 so baseball and girls take up a portion of his time, although he has been a help when needed. I think y'all will improve on your timetable. Do you know what tranny you have? It looks like a powerslot, in which case you will have no problem pulling the family. I will post some pics of mine when I have a chance if your interested. You will find a lot of info here. Another very good source is The MasterCraft Project on facebook. Thatsmrmastercraft will also be of help to you im sure.
That is a Power Slot.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:20 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
I'm sure it probably will once we start seeing progress we will get more motivated. I just don't want him to get to burned out on it. How hard was it to do the stringers and floor? That is next on the list once I get engine out. The floor for sure will have to be done. As bad as the floor is I'm pretty sure the stringers to. Have any good advise for someone that hasn't done it before but is fairly handing? Any do's or don'ts? Thanks for your input.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
I'm sure it probably will once we start seeing progress we will get more motivated. I just don't want him to get to burned out on it. How hard was it to do the stringers and floor? That is next on the list once I get engine out. The floor for sure will have to be done. As bad as the floor is I'm pretty sure the stringers to. Have any good advise for someone that hasn't done it before but is fairly handing? Any do's or don'ts? Thanks for your input.
Lots of dont's. I just finished an 81. It was fun but time consuming... Stay about 4 or 5 steps ahead of yourself. Planning is everything....

Lots of things to do as well

PM to you.

John 3:16-18
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197
Do the above engine mods and that boat will pull more skiers up than you will want to tie ropes to... :-) Good luck with the project... Your are in the right place... Great knowledge to be had here.....
Old 03-07-2017, 06:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197 TT
Hey Malik, well done on your post and choice of projects to do with your son, I reckon you will have a great time working on this with him. It's my belief that time together on projects of any kind is worth so much with all kids but especially boys. (I have 3) Take plenty of photos and post them!! Good luck!!