Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Drake2785's Avatar
Drake2785 Drake2785 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: MasterCraft X2
Location: East TN
Posts: 404
Shaft stuffing

Anyone know what it's gonna cost me to have the stuffing replaced on a 2005 MasterCraft X2 leaking pretty good this summer. Just curious thanks for the info in any
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:09 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,619
You could order the rope from SKI DIM and do it yourself for about $20.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1118

Unless 05s came with the dripless system then you have to pull the shaft to change that seal but still a pretty easy job.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Drake2785's Avatar
Drake2785 Drake2785 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: MasterCraft X2
Location: East TN
Posts: 404
Yes the shaft has to be pulled dealer said 1 hr labor and $155 for the part to fix ??????
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,639
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
save yourself the $155... and do it your self... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvyF-NRooQ
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2013, 05:49 PM
GoneBoatN's Avatar
GoneBoatN GoneBoatN is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,917
removed double post
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM
GoneBoatN's Avatar
GoneBoatN GoneBoatN is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
You could order the rope from SKI DIM and do it yourself for about $20.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1118

Unless 05s came with the dripless system then you have to pull the shaft to change that seal but still a pretty easy job.
I think easy is a relative term on this one. With the V-drive you are likely to have very little room between the shaft log, the transmission and the general surrounding area. For myself I would work on it myself and enjoy the process. However, I think for many, they would find the $??.?? per hour of labor much worth it. I would think perhaps 2-3 hours and quite a few explicatives for a non-experienced boat mechanic.

You may want to ask what the labor rate and the max time to do the job.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,639
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
I think easy is a relative term on this one. With the V-drive you are likely to have very little room between the shaft log, the transmission and the general surrounding area. For myself I would work on it myself and enjoy the process. However, I think for many, they would find the $??.?? per hour of labor much worth it. I would think perhaps 2-3 hours and quite a few explicatives for a non-experienced boat mechanic.

You may want to ask what the labor rate and the max time to do the job.
Do it with a friend share some beers afters...
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
88 PS190 88 PS190 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,451
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Do it with a friend share some beers afters...
This is one of those jobs that witnesses are not always a good thing. Lots of contortions performed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Drake2785's Avatar
Drake2785 Drake2785 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: MasterCraft X2
Location: East TN
Posts: 404
Haha well I've done almost everything to the boat myself. This was one thing I have never done. I prob can do it just the first time is a little intimidating I guess once I tore into I believe I would have to call myself a chicken for doubting myself I guess. I plan on getting the stuff and with a older friend he says he can show me how it's done the first time. Thanks for the feedback guys
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,639
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake2785 View Post
Haha well I've done almost everything to the boat myself. This was one thing I have never done. I prob can do it just the first time is a little intimidating I guess once I tore into I believe I would have to call myself a chicken for doubting myself I guess. I plan on getting the stuff and with a older friend he says he can show me how it's done the first time. Thanks for the feedback guys
it will be fun..
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.