Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 prostar 190
1991 prostar 190

Name:  033.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  040.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  035.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  73.9 KBHello, I have just acquired a 1991 prostar 190. I assume it has a 351 Windsor motor. previous owner did not winterize and the block is cracked. I am looking into getting a "long Block" from Napa. Is there a difference in motors between regular street and boat? The Boat has sat outside for the last couple of years and the interior is pretty rough. The Hull seems to be in pretty good shape and I think with a little elbow grease it will come out ok. I am looking for decals as well. As far as pics go I will have to get some. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by freightgy; 06-14-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
PICS PICS PICS will help you the best
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Jim at BAWS (Bay Area Water Sports)has any stickers you could want. He's on this forum. Remove your old one. get the hull like you want it, then put the new ones on.
Too bad about the motor. With a little care, it would have lasted forever. There are seeral threads you can find on here that deal with the Windsor 351. It might be a good opportunity to upgrade to the high output heads and electronic ignition.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 prostar 190
do you know if a crate Motor will work?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
In pretty much the same boat (pun intended lol). Picked up a 88 PS190 with a cracked block and am currently working on getting her fixed up. After lots of reading and advice I decided to go with a remanufactured marine shortblock I found on Ebay for about $950 shipped, picked up some freshly rebuilt GT40P heads locally and am swapping as much as possible. The other significant items I added to the list or decided to upgrade were: full petronix billet ignition system (flame thrower coil, distributor, wires) starter was junk so replaced, edelbrock performer intake and had my carb rebuilt. Outside of a couple minor things here and there I haven't picked up, I'll be in it for about $2200-$2400 altogether and should (hopefully) top 300hp..
Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierSPL View Post
In pretty much the same boat (pun intended lol). Picked up a 88 PS190 with a cracked block and am currently working on getting her fixed up. After lots of reading and advice I decided to go with a remanufactured marine shortblock I found on Ebay for about $950 shipped, picked up some freshly rebuilt GT40P heads locally and am swapping as much as possible. The other significant items I added to the list or decided to upgrade were: full petronix billet ignition system (flame thrower coil, distributor, wires) starter was junk so replaced, edelbrock performer intake and had my carb rebuilt. Outside of a couple minor things here and there I haven't picked up, I'll be in it for about $2200-$2400 altogether and should (hopefully) top 300hp..
This will be over 300hp and what I did with mine. I love it.

Price is in the ballpark that I was in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
The entire upholstery can be done ~$1500

If you acquired this boat for free then 4k invested with new engine and upholstery.....

Lets just say you will have lots of power and lots of people wanting it. That is a bada$$ skiing hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
You can have a local vinyl guy make decals for you too... all the artwork for almost all the older boats are here for download... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/r0N1CR5VtR - not to take away from Jim at BAWS -