Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Not bad - I use Global Marine and I pay around $230/yr

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I use Voyager Marine underwritten by A.C.E. $175 per year agreed value policy. No layup.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft x-30, 330hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
yea did a custom plan and came up to 256/yr. Basic was 200

that was for 29k coverage (boat/trailer) and lower deductible etc
How do you like them? I just ran a custom quote and they were really cheap, $206 for $32K on the boat and $4K on the trailer. About $200 less than any other quote I have received. What do most people carry for liability?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Has anyone ever filed a claim with ski-safe or have any experience with them when you actually NEED the insurance. I have State Farm for house, cars, boat, and always have.

I used to work for a different insurance company as a claims adjuster and I have seen horrible things happen to people with regards to claims, coverages, etc. State Farm is known for their great claims service in my area so I know what to expect if I ever do need to use my coverages for something. I am all about saving some money and getting a good policy, but it would not be worth it IMO if the claims department is a nightmare to work with.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'm sure they are doing this because you're raising the value. To them it sounds like the makings of insurance fraud. I'm not insinuating that, but not many people call to raise their agreed value. Usually it's the opposite to save a few bucks.
I'm sure you could get another carrier without doing the appraisal for a good agreed value. I've neve r had to do an appraisal to get plenty of coverage

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I just went through this same process with State Farm last week on my first experience getting boat insurance. State Farm was more than 2x everyone else. Ended up going with ski-safe based on searches on Team Talk and some online reviews. Apparently this is "the norm" for State Farm. Cheers.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I have AAA for my cars, house. life etc. When BoatUS tried to raise my rates by 33% this spring to pay for their Sandy claims I tried to move my boat to AAA. Called my agent and couldn't get a policy to come close to Ski Safe or Progressive and they wouldn't write an agreed value policy. My agent told me they were not set up for those types of policies and even if she could write one it probably would not be competitive.

When I was shopping I got two types of quotes, competitive and way out there. I think it comes down to what business the company wants to be in and if it's not something they target they just throw a crazy price so you go away.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane D View Post
Has anyone ever filed a claim with ski-safe or have any experience with them when you actually NEED the insurance. I have State Farm for house, cars, boat, and always have.

I used to work for a different insurance company as a claims adjuster and I have seen horrible things happen to people with regards to claims, coverages, etc. State Farm is known for their great claims service in my area so I know what to expect if I ever do need to use my coverages for something. I am all about saving some money and getting a good policy, but it would not be worth it IMO if the claims department is a nightmare to work with.
We had excellent service with Ski-Safe when our boat was broken into a few years ago. The boat was on the lift and the cover was cut, the windscreen closing off the open bow was cut as well, amp stolen, some tools stolen, damage to the glove box, and the inside of the boat was a mess with red clay. My MasterCraft dealer wrote up an estimate to replace everything and have the boat detailed. I emailed the estimate along with some pictures to the agent at Ski-Safe assigned to my claim and had a check in a matter of a few days. We've been Ski-Safe Customers for probably close to 15 years now.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
We had excellent service with Ski-Safe when our boat was broken into a few years ago. The boat was on the lift and the cover was cut, the windscreen closing off the open bow was cut as well, amp stolen, some tools stolen, damage to the glove box, and the inside of the boat was a mess with red clay. My MasterCraft dealer wrote up an estimate to replace everything and have the boat detailed. I emailed the estimate along with some pictures to the agent at Ski-Safe assigned to my claim and had a check in a matter of a few days. We've been Ski-Safe Customers for probably close to 15 years now.
Thanks T-Bone. That is exactly what I was waiting to hear. Looks like I will be calling ski-safe for a quote tomorrow!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205
I received a skisafe quote and it clearly stated that the policy was agreed value for the first 24 months then the policy reverted to FMV. Clearly not a good deal the way "that" policy is written.
Attached Images