Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004xstar
Is anyone close to viper customs in Tennessee?

Wow so I dropped the boat off April 23 or so and was told 2-4 weeks or so for the interior. I had a few minor things done too but iv been promised phone calls emails pictures you name it iv been promised it. I told them I needed the boat definitely by this weekend and now it's still not going to be done. Is there anyone close that can stop in and check on my boat. I'm getting pretty frustrated. Everything I call Jim can't talk he's either with a customer blah blah blah no call back. I tried to also spend upwards of 4000-5000 on wetsounds that I told multiple employees a list of everything I wanted and when I got an email 2 weeks later they forgot half the boat work I wanted and the stereo quote was for two speakers that's it.... Enough complaining iv seen the work he can do but is this just normal with almost every boat shop?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 MCX w/ 07 Tower
I'm not terribly far from there and make the trip to Knoxville, TN a couple times a month. If anyone from Knoxville doesn't chime in, I may be able to swing by there sometime to check on it for you..

I just passed that exact place last Wed. bringing my new (to me) X2 home.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
They must be up to their arm pits with work.....they are not posting on FB as often as they were in late winter and early spring.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Send Jim an email. They must be slammed but I had mine done in early spring and they were a week early on my delivery despite having some issues with my templates.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
This has been my experience with every upholstery shop. I ultimately went with Viper. There were a couple periods of time without responses. We were told about four weeks and it ended up being close to seven. This was in February also. They stay extremely busy, although that is not a good excuse for no response.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Nick they were busy perfecting that design before they got to yours lol. But seriously email him. That shop in huge and has about 10'x10' of office. I doubt Jim lives in there for more than 20 minutes a day.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
In my experience, in season upholstery work takes forever. Seeing the season slip away makes it feel twice as long. It is probably better that they're too busy working, I'd hate to think their sitting by the phone not getting stuff done. Very frustrating though, no doubt about that.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MC X Star, PP
04 Star... hopefully someone from K Town or Maryville will chime in... I hate to see this, but its the exact reason why my boat didnt end up there. They do amazing work... but if your volume is such that it is dont over promise and dont take more boats than you can do. Its better to turn away business than to have a Bad Rep... which this can easily spread quick. This has been echo'd on other sites as well.

But I will say once you do get it... it will be nice.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Jim Jackson does not do upholstery. He has an in-house shop there that does the work....he does other things. Give credit where credit is due... A nice guy named Karl heads up the upholstery work there.

I can say this from first hand experience and as an opinion; He is not a business oriented person. Few if any business skills.... I had my boat done there last fall. easy in, easy out (more or less). He forgot part of my work too, but I caught the omission before I pulled off the lot..... I spent another 3 hours waiting....

I referred a friend of mine to Viper and Jackson held his boat hostage for eight weeks after a promise of 10 days. Guy finally got his boat back yesterday. He is still working on something for me that was promised to be done six weeks ago. >> SPIT <<

Good work but no business skills. His voice mail is always full, rarely answers his phone, and does not answer email... He doesn't need the business....(sarcasm)..... Small mom and pop shop at best...

I will say I like Jim, know him on a semi-personal basis, but I'll never recommend anyone to his false commitments again, after making me look foolish to my friend upon referral....

Extremely busy = under staffed and lack of business management

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 06-14-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
Send Jim an email. They must be slammed but I had mine done in early spring and they were a week early on my delivery despite having some issues with my templates.
IV sent more emails and called and left messages with more employees with detailed list of stuff done and still waiting.