Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Ants?

Anyone ever have a problem with ants in your boat? I've noticed that when it's on the trailer in the driveway they seem to like to find their way in there. It seems to be a bad couple of years in Indiana for these blasted pests too!
I'm not sure why they like the boat so much, but unless anyone has any good ideas, I'll probably try some hose sprays to get 'em gone.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Asked this question about a year ago.... nobody responded so I guess you and I are unlucky. Had major problems until I found and killed the queen. Mine where carpenter ants (I live on a wooded lot)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
I have had the same probelm the last couple of years and have actually developed a system. I use a broudcast type granulure for the grassy areas surrounding where my boat is parked, then use a spray around the bottoms of my tires and the jack wheel (yeah I found them using it). Finally for inside the boat I use the terro products which I place in areas I have seen the ants traveling. Early spring I used the broadcast stuff and spray and I haven't had the problem resurface so far this year with ants in the boat. They are the small black ants that I am battling here, btw.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I had a roach on my boat years ago, but i divorced her

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
Anyone ever have a problem with ants in your boat? I've noticed that when it's on the trailer in the driveway they seem to like to find their way in there. It seems to be a bad couple of years in Indiana for these blasted pests too!
I'm not sure why they like the boat so much, but unless anyone has any good ideas, I'll probably try some hose sprays to get 'em gone.
What kind of ants? If they're the little red ones, clean the carpet- it could be that they found something sweet. Spilled drinks and food cause this.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
I've got the little black ants. Glad to know I'm not the only one. They seem to be liking the dark areas like between hull and top cap where the rub rail is and in the side panels.
I'm going to try LYNRDSKYNRD's approach to treat around the wheels and jack as well as plant some traps maybe. I've got the same problem in my house and picked up some Ortho spray yesterday. Will let you know the longer term results.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
We had a problem with ants 2 seasons ago. It took me about a week to figure it out. I finally pulled the snap in carpet up and found where someone had spilled a small amout a dark colored drink like Coke in the corner by the observer seat. You could see where it had been cleaned up, but a very small amount has made it through the carpet and had dried on the gell. Once I cleaned that up and cleaned the carpet, no more ants.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Get yourself some Tempo insecticide. Spray the ground area around your boat. If need be, spray in your boat. Stuff works amazingly well. Mixes with water. Don't quote me, but I believe it's approved for use in the food service industry, so it's relatively safe as well. I use it in our basement even.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Ants can be a problem anywhere, especially if there is any excavation nearby which displaces the dang things. I have had some anthill explosions and a little Raid ant spray takes care of them in a big hurry. Fortunately they have not found my boat................yet.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I recommend cleaning the carpet... the smell of oils and food traces may be attracting the ants...