Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
Takes To Long To Fill Up

http://youtu.be/70xiiRtWK5w

hi i have a 2013 prostar which takes ages to fill up i have asked this before but thought i would send a video to see if anyone can shed some light on it for me. i timed it yesterday and it took one minute to put 2 litres in which is about 1/2 gallon.
i have asked the dealer but he not very helpful and i am sick of asking . i have tried to send email to mastercraft on other matters but they just send the email to him.so i am not relly getting anywhere.if we fill up a 20litre drum and pour it in . it goes in fine. but that is a pain in the butt as we always forget to take the jerry can . plus to me when you spend nearly
70k on a boat that shouldt be the way to do.
so i am trying to see if anyone else has this problem or any ideas i can check.
we have checked the breather hose etc and there are no kinks.
and the way we fill it on the video is about the best way we can do it as we have put the handle in and out and round and round trying to get a good angle
ok thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
This happened to me last fall in my '05 197. At first, I thought I had some sort of blockage in the fuel line. I am not sure if the problem is because there is air in the tank or what - I still don't have the root cause for the issue.

The way I got around it was to make sure and push the end of the fuel nozzle as far down into the filler neck as possible. Once I did that, the problem seemed to go away. Plus, that allows the nozzle auto-shut off to stop the full flow once the tank is full to help reduce overflow.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Don't the newer boats have fuel fillers on either side? If so, open them both.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Your fuel tank appears to be vapor locking check your fuel tank vent should fix your issues

Last edited by gotjag941; 06-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC 2002 X30
can you hear air coming out your vent as you fill. have someone put gas in and feel your vent for air use your finger to feel if any air is coming out
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
I'd say that the vent hose has a kink in it somewhere. Find that, and you've found the problem.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 32yrs Tournament Team
Your problem is specific to the new EPA mandated fuel system components. I had the same problem with my 2013 197 when trying to fill it at the gas pump. Takes forever just as you describe. I have no trouble filling with a siphon hose which I attribute to the smaller hose diameter allowing it to vent better back through the fill hose. This is not specific to MC as I know of the same problem with 2013 CC200. I don't know the specifics of the new components, but you will notice that the new tank is a different material that does not allow you to visually check fuel level any more, you will also find some type of inline valve on the fill-hose, also there is a totally different arrangement for the vent. Rather than directly connected to the thru-hull fitting there is some type of canister/filter mounted starboard side above the tank and the vent fitting is mounted much further forward than in the past. I am told that this system prevents fuel from escaping the vent fitting due to overfilling or heat expansion. Quite simply...the vent does not seem to vent anymore. Thank You U.S. EPA!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
I'm going with vent hose kink also. Our 2008 x30 did the same thing and it was absolutely maddening. Pretty irritating sitting at a gas dock with a line of boats waiting and 40 gallons to pump. 😡😡😡
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X7 MCX350
I had the same on my X7 when I bought it 2 years old = even filling from a jerry can. I discovered that there is an in line mesh filter on the tank inlet pipe/tube and this was partially blocked not allowing the fuel to flow fast enough into the tank- even on a syphon. Once I had taken out the fuel filler pipe and cleaned the filter ( I then actually took it out and threw it away because I have a filter on the syphon tube) I have had no problems since. Gently feed in a narrow wire (eg thin coat hanger wire) through the filler cap and see if it meets an obstruction, if yes you have an inline filter in your filler tube. It can only be a restriction on fuel going in or restriction on aircoming out. I bet its the "in" Line
Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
93 PS205 and i have the issue - drives me crazy

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...