Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT
Question Circuit breakers bilge and nav lights

2007 PS 197 TT -- bilge breaker pops after a few seconds, nav lights pops immediately. Any ideas for a DYI fix to this? Would rather not have to take it in. Is it a problem with the circuit, or the breakers?

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Breakers are doing their job, it's probably the circuits. Start tracing wires. Bilge pump could be a bad pump. You could remove the wires from the pump, making sure they don't touch each other, and turn it on again. If it pops with no pump attached, it's wiring for sure. My guess for the nav lights is chewed wiring. Where was it over the winter. Squirrels got into my brother's boat one year and made a mess of the wiring.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks ricford -- good ideas.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkskier View Post
2007 PS 197 TT -- bilge breaker pops after a few seconds, nav lights pops immediately. Any ideas for a DYI fix to this? Would rather not have to take it in. Is it a problem with the circuit, or the breakers?

Thanks for any ideas.
I have the eaxct same boat! And I had a similar issue, but with my blower. Would hit the switch and the blower would not operate. After a few seconds the breaker would trip. In my case it was because the fan had frozen from sitting, so it was getting power but could not break free and eventually blew the breaker. I was able to spin the fan by hand to break it free and it began working/ not tripping the breaker (but I still replaced it). Could it be you bilge pump is having the same issue? Does it sound as though it's operating at all before it trips? If not, maybe the impeller is frozen or stuck. The lights could easily be an unrelated issue altogether. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

Kwiesner, that worked. I took the bilge pump out and cleaned out the crap and now it runs fine and doesn't pop the breaker. Still working on the nav lights -- have a buddy who is a MC dealer who tells me might be the breaker itself. Hard to believe the wiring developed a short as they worked fine in April when I demo'd the boat and the seller kept it in his garage all the time. But I have a line on an electrical guy who will work for beer and a boat ride so I'm gonna give that a shot before taking it in.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Elkskier, glad to hear the bilge worked out to be the same as my issue! At least 1/2 the problem was an easy fix. Good luck with the lights--hope it's something simple.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkskier View Post

Thanks for any ideas.
Learn to use a multi-meter. Seriously.