Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
^^ Man that thing looks like you'd be afraid of rubbing the belly of the plane when you come in for a landing.
No need for steps to get out of it, that is for sure.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+

With that twin turbo you should be well above 600HP

A small and a large one, or identical turbos? They look identical...

Nicely done btw, with that little room to put it...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I flew from age 14 to 18. Lots of fun and challenges. Got to expensive renting and I had school expenses. So I hung it up. I still bang around on the simulator from time to time. My dad had 10,000+ private pilot hours on everything from Twin Bonanzas/Excalibur and a Jet Commander 1121. That jet was so Goldfinger cool back in the day.

Stock photo. Not his.
Would love to fly a jet someday. I have been able to get a ton of endorsements in different type and make aircraft. Which is what makes flying fun. I agree that renting can be a little costly but ownership is anything but costly. I just can't see buying a car for 100k when I could do 200knots at that price with 8 people anywhere in the country. Can't do that in a car. I'll surely own many more planes before I get any nice cars.

Right now I have the piper only to advance my license and become an IFR pilot.

East you should look into fractional ownership. It's a lot cheaper.

I would give up my MasterCraft long before I could give up flying. That's the truth.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
Is there really no suspension for a hard landing, or does it have bags or height adjust from the hydros?
There is "suspension" on the rear landing gear. In this plane you can see the gear is attached at the wing which is strange and gives it that lowered look. I put suspension in quotes because it's not like you would think. Lets just say it's more of a limiter of stress. The front wheel uses a pogo type suspension as well. Again, it's really just for added comfort as almost any harder landing will push them to the limit possibly causing damage or further distress and deterioration. A smooth landing is preferred in all aircraft. Both planes I have owned only had some sort of suspension on the front wheels. It's still landing an 1800# aircraft without any suspension as the back wheels hit first and I can make it so smooth you will still think your flying. (On a good day) so suspension isn't necessary on any aircraft. It just adds to the margin of error. If that makes any sense.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
They are. I'm first on the list at my dealer. Should have it in Nov.
So uhh.... I'm gonna come take a ride in it! Haha

Thoughts on no option for manual gearbox!? I'm upset!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
It's still landing an 1800# aircraft without any suspension as the back wheels hit first and I can make it so smooth you will still think your flying. (On a good day) so suspension isn't necessary on any aircraft. It just adds to the margin of error. If that makes any sense.
Yeah, but it's more fun to bounce down the runway, isn't it? Especially in a crosswind.

I used to have a 172 years ago, but eventually got bored with it and decided to spend my money on other things -- like boats. (The 172 was cool, but there was no Pussy Galore.) When my skiing days end, I may take it up again. The next plane I own will have to go at least 150 kts. So, either a Mooney or experimental... or if I hit the Powerball, a Bonanza, KingAir or Cirrus.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
It does make sense and when I searched for more images of that aircraft they don't look quite as low--must be the shadows in that pic. Just looked like if there was much upward wheel travel on a landing the belly would hit the ground. Thought maybe it had height adjust for loading and unloading like a coach bus but I get it now. I've built a few vehicles with "highly progressive" rate springs and/or jounce stops as "suspension". i.e. if you need it to move a bit it will just to save your backbone or equipment.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
Yeah, but it's more fun to bounce down the runway, isn't it? Especially in a crosswind.

Oh it's fun alright. Bounce right over and off the runway. I've had a few embarrassing go arounds. No one ever hounds you for it. They always say you did the right thing.

There has got to be some old navy pilots or something that have some cool photos
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Maristar View Post
What is the motor rated at with those nice turbos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
With that twin turbo you should be well above 600HP

A small and a large one, or identical turbos? They look identical...

Nicely done btw, with that little room to put it...
I'm not leaning on it that hard right now, only about 6psi of boost. But that's still good for about 600hp at the wheels. That translated to a little over 670hp at the flywheel. I may turn it up more if I get bored.

The turbos are part of an APS kit. They are both identical GT3076R ball bearing water cooled turbos, good for ~1000hp in case I decide to put a built engine under them. There is zero lag with 6.2L of engine pushing them. Remember that a completely stock LS3 Corvette can already smoke the tires. The turbos just make it easy to keep on smoking them almost as long as you want to. Careful throttle control is key.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, LT1
2010 Polaris Ranger 800