Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Oil mixed in bilge

I have a 2004 X-10 which has been working great this Summer.

Recently, over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed an oily film on the drain plug in the middle of the hull. In addition, the water which drains out now has a rainbow-like hue to it, so I'm absolutely certain that there is oil mixed in.

I checked the engine oil and it is full - - - while it is possible that the oil is leaking from the engine, I'm doubting it.

I haven't had a chance to check the transmission yet, but understand from the dealer that it uses oil rather than transmission fluid. That is next to check.

I'm curious if there are any common locations to check as far as oil leaks go, either around the engine or around the transmission. Any ideas where to look would certainly help me determine the cause and whether or not this is something I can easily handle or something I should let my dealer take care of.

Thanks, in advance, for the knowledge and expertise of the forum.

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Assuming you have checked all connections for visible oil leak, next thing I would do is clean out the bilge then put down paper towels under the engine and trans mission, check later for any oil drips. One other thought, maybe some oil residue from a prior oil/filter change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
How much of a film are we talking here? Got pics?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Could be gas. Oily film may be the gunk gas loosened up in the bilge compartment. If it IS oil, it should be fairly obvious it's not gas, which would make my comment pointless.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmd View Post
I have a 2004 X-10 which has been working great this Summer.

Recently, over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed an oily film on the drain plug in the middle of the hull. In addition, the water which drains out now has a rainbow-like hue to it, so I'm absolutely certain that there is oil mixed in.

I checked the engine oil and it is full - - - while it is possible that the oil is leaking from the engine, I'm doubting it.

I haven't had a chance to check the transmission yet, but understand from the dealer that it uses oil rather than transmission fluid. That is next to check.

I'm curious if there are any common locations to check as far as oil leaks go, either around the engine or around the transmission. Any ideas where to look would certainly help me determine the cause and whether or not this is something I can easily handle or something I should let my dealer take care of.

Thanks, in advance, for the knowledge and expertise of the forum.
One of the areas to check that might not cross your mind at first are the lines running from the transmission to the oil cooler. Maybe lay some paper towels in the bottom of the bilge and let sit for a while to see if you are getting any drips from somewhere.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
One of the areas to check that might not cross your mind at first are the lines running from the transmission to the oil cooler. Maybe lay some paper towels in the bottom of the bilge and let sit for a while to see if you are getting any drips from somewhere.
I'm thinking if it was tranny oil he'd see pink... I've never noticed if tranny oil causes the rainbow slick... Does it?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
I'm thinking if it was tranny oil he'd see pink... I've never noticed if tranny oil causes the rainbow slick... Does it?
As a v-drive it most likely has oil in the transmission. His post also said he was told by the dealer it has oil in it.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Maristar 210
Check to make sure your oil filter is not loose...happened to me once
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
As a v-drive it most likely has oil in the transmission. His post also said he was told by the dealer it has oil in it.
That's the v drive, not the transmission. Transmission still has tranny fluid, and that's what flows thru the cooler. There's not a cooler on the v drive, and that's what takes motor oil.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_ken View Post
Check to make sure your oil filter is not loose...happened to me once
I've seen guys accidentally leave the old rubber gasket from the previous filter when they put the new one on. That'll usually do it! Usually more than a slow leak though...