Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
You can buy the heater core/fan unit from summit racing

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 08-20-2013, 05:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x-Star 2001
Made some more progress.

I also bit the bullet after not being able to find any suitable flexible duct, and ordered 3 hot tubes from heatercraft.

So far the whole thing has cost me $650NZD ($520 US) for a 3 outlet heater with 3 hot tubes. So it has saved me about $300nz when shipping etc is taken into account. I was hoping to get it done cheaper, but not being able to find the ducting here has kind of killed that hope.

This thing better work! haha.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 AM
TT Regular

Finished the heater install after the hot tubes arrived in record time (2 days from the US to NZ!!!!).

So the heater CRANKS out hot air when running it on the hard using a fake a lake/hose connection.

Took it for a test in the river, and its warm......but not hugely hot. The boat runs pretty cold usually so might have to look into a new/higher thermostat. From memory it runs a line or two below 160 on the temp gauge.....will have to check that though.

Has anyone managed to do anything to get hotter water heading to the heater core?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:09 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURSTY View Post
Took it for a test in the river, and its warm......but not hugely hot. The boat runs pretty cold usually so might have to look into a new/higher thermostat. From memory it runs a line or two below 160 on the temp gauge.....will have to check that though.

Has anyone managed to do anything to get hotter water heading to the heater core?

]

Jeez, don't change your engine operating temperature. That won't work anyway.

Get a Y-pipe. It creates far better heat output at idle or low RPM.

Last edited by bigmac; 08-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
160 is exactly where it should be running. You don't want to change that.
As bigmac says, install a Y pipe. That's key to getting better circulation since the hot water is not only being pushed through on the supply side but pulled through on the return.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM
TT Regular

Just checked the gauge. Its running at 140F and gets up to 160 when wakesurfing or running on a fake a lake.

I have it installed with a "Y" pipe back into the intake and its still not what I would call hot.

Should I be expecting the same sort of heat you would get from a car heater, or are they always going to be hotter as they usually run around 180F or 82C?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
from what i have read you want the hot water coming out of your intake and returning to the intake line at the bottom of your boat like the picture posted. your install looks good, wish I had the cash to do it also
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
My temp stays right around 160 regardless of speed or load. 140 does seem a tad cool.

Mine never really gets "hot" but I would say it is nice and warm.

The other thing to consider would be the size of the heater core and speed of the fan you've installed. It is possible for there to be too much heater core surface and too high an air flow, thereby not allowing the air to really heat up all that much. Also, mine is a two-duct unit whereas yours is three -- not sure if that affects the heat level.

You did a great job of the fabrication and the install from the looks of the pics.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:25 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the Praise. Im pretty happy with how it turned out.

I might pull the thermostat just to check it is still doing its job/hasn't disintegrated etc.

The core itself if a 4wd heater core from a car. They usually have multiple vents and a huge blower so I would have thought the core size and airflow shouldn't cause an issue. I think if I can get the water to sit and 160 where it should be it will be prefect (when running on the fake a lake it sits at 160 and the heater air is right where I want it!).

Now need to figure out how to install a shower =P.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURSTY View Post
Just checked the gauge. Its running at 140F and gets up to 160 when wakesurfing or running on a fake a lake.

I have it installed with a "Y" pipe back into the intake and its still not what I would call hot.

Should I be expecting the same sort of heat you would get from a car heater, or are they always going to be hotter as they usually run around 180F or 82C?
The Y pipe I linked to above from SkiDim isn't just a "Y" fitting. It's actually calibrated, one limb smaller and containing a flow restrictor, and specifically designed to increase heat in these boat systems.

It's odd that your boat changes operating temp under load. I don't think it should. Mine goes to 160 and stays there regardless of the load on the boat. I'd want to look into that if it was my boat.