Originally Posted by pap View Post
"empty all"
Yes officer, I do have 3 bilge pumps!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
Any boat that is weighted sufficiently for wakesurfing and for most wakeboarding is going to be over the rating. The 2013 X30 is rated 2250. 750 per side sacs + 1000 stock ballast and we're over already with no people on the boat.

And people run a lot more than that.

It's a stupid number, there needs to be a better system. Sure it's a pig at that weight, and I wouldn't be turning aggressively or traveling at high speed, but it's not going to sink.
I'm almost 100% sure that the rating assumes a full tank of fuel and stock ballast being full as well. In this instance you'd only be counting 1500 pounds of weight.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
i strongly dislike DNR.

STRONGLY. like arnold schwarzenegger in his prime strong. like skunk smell strong. like fart after eating deviled eggs strong.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenskijerm View Post
I'm almost 100% sure that the rating assumes a full tank of fuel and stock ballast being full as well. In this instance you'd only be counting 1500 pounds of weight.

I'm almost 100% sure you are mistaken (no offense). Many capacities listed dont even assume the motor.

However, federal law only requires boats under 20' to have a capacity plate, and it is up to each state to decide whether or not to enforce the capacities. In many states it is only a guideline, not an enforceable regulation.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
Interesting responses...thought this was almost a rhetorical question.

But it appears there's no consensus on what counts or doesn't count. And how it weight capacity is enforced.

Maybe I'll reachout to my dealer rep out of curiousity.

My main concern is just safety. I've only had one 750lb sac in the rear port locker of the X55 as a test run, and that created a pretty serious list. I'm considering adding a second 750 under the port side seat (that seams to be the recommendation for optimal surf wave) and honestly, a bit nervous of the idea. But I know smaller size boats do it all the time. Probably just have to get used to it.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astepatatime View Post
Interesting responses...thought this was almost a rhetorical question.

But it appears there's no consensus on what counts or doesn't count. And how it weight capacity is enforced.

Maybe I'll reachout to my dealer rep out of curiousity.

My main concern is just safety. I've only had one 750lb sac in the rear port locker of the X55 as a test run, and that created a pretty serious list. I'm considering adding a second 750 under the port side seat (that seams to be the recommendation for optimal surf wave) and honestly, a bit nervous of the idea. But I know smaller size boats do it all the time. Probably just have to get used to it.
You big baby. Fill her up. I've run over 2000# in mine with at least 1100 being ballast. And my boat is not even close to the size of a X55. Your fine man.

On the note of capacity.

Plates are required on any boat 14ft or more not 20ft.

Plates are not including fuel so they do not include stock ballast.

The engine does not count towards capacity

Fuel, equipment, people, all count.

It depends on your local laws whether or not it's enforced.

The capacity is rated for rough weather, choppy water, high winds. Even boaters training class states that you wouldn't likely have trouble on calm days overloading a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
You big baby. Fill her up. I've run over 2000# in mine with at least 1100 being ballast. And my boat is not even close to the size of a X55. Your fine man.

On the note of capacity.

Plates are required on any boat 14ft or more not 20ft.

Plates are not including fuel so they do not include stock ballast.

The engine does not count towards capacity

Fuel, equipment, people, all count.

It depends on your local laws whether or not it's enforced.

The capacity is rated for rough weather, choppy water, high winds. Even boaters training class states that you wouldn't likely have trouble on calm days overloading a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Federal law requires a plate on any powered boat under 20 ft. NMMA requires them on larger boats.

The engine does count toward capacity on outboard boats. The "max hp" rating is as much for weight as anything else.

The rating is for moderate weather conditions.

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/boat_1.html
Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Hey I just took that boaters training class from them and got a 94%. That was 2 days ago. And I may only get a 80% now.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
I just noticed today (meant to grab a picture) but under the capacity label on my x-15 there is a label that says something to the effect of stock ballast considered full when determining weight capacities of boat. I'll grab that picture tomorrow so you guys don't think I'm insane.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x30
I am sure I am not the only one but I am running 2 750lb sacks, stock KGB, and a 600 bow sac with a full tank and 7 people on board without issue. Was stopped by the state patrol this weekend for my auto flag and they didn't even comment on the ballast. I have an 03 x30 and I am sure it could handle much more, you just have to get used to it. An x55 can handle much more than my x30!