Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by skps190 View Post
I think a lot of it boils down the fact that most people unless they are serious skiers or footers don't realize the beauty of glass water and how much better skiing and footing is on glass.
It's really amazing just listening to the sound that glass water makes as you cut through it on a ski.

I've skiied up the river for 5 miles just to get some clean water only have somone blow by me right when it gets nice. What can you do?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I can understand your frustration, but until the lake you're boating on is your own private lake, quit complaining. Just this weekend I was out later when the water finally calmed down a bit to get a wakeboard set in, and ended up going to my 2nd favorite spot on the lake because someone was getting pulled on a trick ski at my first favorite spot. Sometimes you just have to go elsewhere on public water, or deal with some waves here and there.

I will say, I sat and watched the trick skier for a little while. Never really seen anyone doing that, but it was pretty sweet. He was getting pulled behind an old nautique.

But of course, if I'm up at 7AM and want to do some surfing, I'll be sure to pay heed to the big signs that say "BAREFOOT AND SLALOM SKIERS ONLY UNTIL 10AM".... if they're there.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Assuming surfing is a rough water last resort is rediculous. With boat companies designing boats catering to surfing, it hardly seems like a niche activity. I surf at 12mph, and when I used to barefoot, it was 41mph. You shouldn't have much trouble staying ahead of a surfer. Surfing is rough water is as much fun as running a slalom course in rough water. I get where you're coming from, I get just as annoyed when I see 2 tubes behind a boat, but they're doing what they do to have fun so I can't judge. I'd wager the elderly couple trolling the shoreline for Muskies feels the same way about you ripping by at 40mph. It's all about perspective.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
the biggest problem we have on our little body of water is people surfing up and down the length of the river. if you're going to surf, especially in a small body of water, stay in the same place and don't mess it up for everyone.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 197TT 6.0 Cadillac YQ-9
I've found that the best water for footing is during the designated fishing hours.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astepatatime View Post
I'm sure the surfers who got up early on their Saturday to do something they like just missed the sign that said only skiers get to use the lake in the morning. They were probably excited to also have some fun on the water and just didn't read it.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but these kind of posts (and ridiculing people who are beginners and take a clinic to learn?) kind of push my buttons. I understand your point and I hope your lake is big enough where they could have gone to another section and not ruined the glass for you. They probably aren't skiers and don't understand the problems they caused.
This.

I have, on rare occasion, vacated a cove to allow others to wakeboard and/or ski and hit the main channel to surf. Again, it's a rarity that I do this but at the end of the day the early bird gets the worm on the water.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
the biggest problem we have on our little body of water is people surfing up and down the length of the river. if you're going to surf, especially in a small body of water, stay in the same place and don't mess it up for everyone.
agreed.

I think the posts on here that reflect on basic etiquette are correct. I'm not saying i'm against surfing, i was a hardcore surfer for a few years. I'm not ripping on beginners either, i'm well aware at one point we were all beginners. Just treat people on the lake the way you would expect to be treated is all.

and btw, mine is a private lake. the owner of a boat dealer lives on the lake, and is charging people to ride on a private lake off his dock against association policy, so that's probably what peaved me off most. I know and have ridden with almost every hard core skier/wakeskater/wakesurfer on my lake, and i'm not alone in being disgruntled. a random dealer boat with 16 kids surfing an entire saturday 7a-7p is a bit much. take it to a public lake.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
Assuming surfing is a rough water last resort is rediculous. With boat companies designing boats catering to surfing, it hardly seems like a niche activity. I surf at 12mph, and when I used to barefoot, it was 41mph. You shouldn't have much trouble staying ahead of a surfer. Surfing is rough water is as much fun as running a slalom course in rough water. I get where you're coming from, I get just as annoyed when I see 2 tubes behind a boat, but they're doing what they do to have fun so I can't judge. I'd wager the elderly couple trolling the shoreline for Muskies feels the same way about you ripping by at 40mph. It's all about perspective.
true true.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by helton333 View Post
I know it is becoming an issue on my lake as far as surfers not staying away from docks - when the rollers come through, the wood docks are shaking so violently that there is no way they are going to stand up to that kind of wake with nails holding them predominately together. I fear it will be outlawed as some point here. The thing I try to tell people is just stay in the areas where you don't bother landowners. We have a house and dock and I can tell you, KNOW ONE that owns one would sit there when those rollers come through and say "this is not harming anything" -

Not trying to be controversial, but it's an issue for us and some courtesy to just simply stay back and away from the docks could help tons. If not, I am sure the TVA will step in and come up with a plan that nobody likes.
This^

I am all for everyone enjoying the water (ski, tube, board, surf, fish, pwc, etc.) but it is getting ugly on our lake and I am afraid that some people with no respect or some people that just don't know better (common sense) are going to ruin the surfing opportunities for others that do have common sense and respect.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdhntr View Post
I've found that the best water for footing is during the designated fishing hours.
LMFAO!

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...