Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Surf Etiquette?

Saturday morning at 7:00AM (perfect barefoot water) and a surf boat drives by? I was fuming to say the least.

I enjoy the surf, maybe not as much as someone else, but is this not the last resort when the lake is too rough to ski? Or do these wake surfers not know how to ski?

Save the glass for the skinny stick or footers, show some respect before you send the rollers.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 AM

Boat: 06 X30
If I personally saw someone trying to barefoot in the early hours I'd hold off surfing. It's not like people barefoot for 2 hours so it's not gonna be that long to get a set in.

On the other hand, flat water is a heck of a lot better for surfing then most people think.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter92 View Post
Saturday morning at 7:00AM (perfect barefoot water) and a surf boat drives by? I was fuming to say the least.

I enjoy the surf, maybe not as much as someone else, but is this not the last resort when the lake is too rough to ski? Or do these wake surfers not know how to ski?

Save the glass for the skinny stick or footers, show some respect before you send the rollers.
agreed. we had two nautique 230s doing a 'wake clinic' on my lake this weekend, which means they charge a bunch of citi-ots a bunch of money to go out and ride 10 feet, fall. ride 10 feet, fall. ride 10 feet, fall. within a few hours they had roughed up the entire lake, and shown nothing but they had more money than brains.

I'm not a nautique hater by any means either, but what an ugly boat that 230 is. nice converse logo on the side. yuk.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Skipper

That's unusual, they usually don't destroy the water until at least after 0900 hrs. But from that point forward if there is a surf boat anywhere in the area then the rest of the people at the lake are out of luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
I'm sure the surfers who got up early on their Saturday to do something they like just missed the sign that said only skiers get to use the lake in the morning. They were probably excited to also have some fun on the water and just didn't read it.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but these kind of posts (and ridiculing people who are beginners and take a clinic to learn?) kind of push my buttons. I understand your point and I hope your lake is big enough where they could have gone to another section and not ruined the glass for you. They probably aren't skiers and don't understand the problems they caused.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Unfortunately this is the way it's always been. If it's not surfers then it's tubers or the azzmasters tearing around.

What grinds me more is on our lake there'll only be two boats on the lake and for some reason the other boat always wants to be in the same area as us. I've even stopped, driven to another area of the lake when this has happened and the other boat follows us over there eventually. Even worse a lot of times they'll get in freeway mode and want to follow directly behind you. All you can do is take a deep breath and move away again while hoping they'll stop and go back home for a while.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astepatatime View Post
I'm sure the surfers who got up early on their Saturday to do something they like just missed the sign that said only skiers get to use the lake in the morning. They were probably excited to also have some fun on the water and just didn't read it.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but these kind of posts (and ridiculing people who are beginners and take a clinic to learn?) kind of push my buttons. I understand your point and I hope your lake is big enough where they could have gone to another section and not ruined the glass for you. They probably aren't skiers and don't understand the problems they caused.

I'm with you 100%

Obviously the OP doesn't understand surfing. Butter water is just as desirable to a surfer as a barefooter. If fact if you go to www.swellinfo.com one of the 2 indicators for swell info is clean or rough waves. A clean wave is going to be smoother and faster.

I for one am not on a lake, which has the tendency to ruin others fun. I am on a river in which the waves don't go too far and the current dissipates the rough water from boarding or surfing quickly.

However, back to the point. Until there is a sign that says barefooting only until 10am. You should not complain and or try to get up earlier to beat them out.

Think about how the fisherman feel when you go whipping round the lake at 35+mph.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x15 2012 5.7
I agree. The lake is there for anyone who wants to use it! As far as cutting down beginners? You were one once. You don't own the lake, and if you do.... Kick them off. If not, deal with it!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I need to take a photo of the barges that goes up and down the river where I am. Then everytime someone complains about people screwing up peoples water, I can post that up and say, well, its better than this showing up.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
On our lake, there is a family on our lake of serious slalom skiers with a 197TT, we always seem to be out at the same time in the morning- me footing and them slalom skiing.

They never wave, always have these super serious grimaces on their face like the wake from my two size 12's are going to ruin their butter water. I guess even through I can ride through their wake on bare feet, my 41 mph wake is going to toss them off their ski!

On the other hand, there is a boat of fellow barefooters who is also often out at the same time. We do a pretty good job of sharing the water, lots of cheering and waving when footing past each other.

It's all about attitude!