Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-05-2004, 03:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 x-30
locking storage???

Has anyone figured out a good way to lock the rear storage compartments in an 03 x30 (or any of the v-drive boats)? I would love to leave stuff in these instead of always bringing things home with me but I dont want the stuff to get stolen. I have looked at the latches over and over and haven't been able to come up with any good solutions. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Sammy Duvall 190 EVO
My dad has a car lot. He used to keep all the cars locked when the lot was closed. Kids would break a window and steal the stereo. This means he'd have to get the stereo replaced *and* the window (which was usually worth more than the radio).

Now he leaves all the cars open. The thefts have not increased in frequency, but when they do happen, at least the windows are in-tact.

I'd be more sick about someone using a crow-bar to open my 'locked' rear storage than any gear they could possibly take. Just another POV.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
Several times a year I boat at a lake where I leave it in a slip at night and wanted something to keep the honest people honest...a determined thief will get it no matter how secure. I just got some plastic coated cable from Home Depot, made loops on each end with those hammer on clamps. Now I just open both cleats at the rear, run the cable through one and back through the loop on one end, pull it tight and padlock it to the other cleat using the other loop. The result is a cable stretched tightly across the back sunpad preventing them from being opened. It would be easy to cut through the cable with bolt cutters, so it won't stop a determined thief.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 x-30
good idea. That is what I was looking for. Just something to keep normal people from prying.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Sweet idea Tom I think that will work for my 209 also.