Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Knoxes

Rope swing...

When I was in college, I spent the summers teaching skiing at a YMCA. We had a 92 Prostar. The staff consisted of the lead instructor who was a former SeaWorld or Cypress Gardens skier and pretty much MIA all summer, me and a ridiculously hot young lady, a few years younger than me. She and I would get there early, practice the around-the-boat trick, ski at lunch and hang around after work. She was easy on the eyes. We found a rope swing on the shore one day, but couldn't find a place to pull up. We never carried an anchor, so we just let it float. Since there was no current or wind, it pretty much just sat there. Of course, I went first. We had to climb up the tree to about 8 feet to launch and the shore line had eroded away so there was another 2 feet to impact the water. Now I know what you're hoping for here, but no, her suit didn't come off. It was on my second shot, that I took a bit extra on the launch and swung out. Now, you know that feeling at the highest point on the swing... just before Newton's laws drag you back normal, when you float for just a second, suspended, weightless? I was there. And I looked down. 15 feet. At a boat. Directly beneath me. Decisions, decisions.... if I let go, I'm sure to break atleast a leg. It's not like there's a lot of landing area on a Prostar. To further complicate things, the boom was rigged up, so just, but for the slimest sliver of luck, that I managed to avoid the boat, I was sure to separate the wonder twins on a 2.5" knurled aluminum bar. So the unknown, or 'x' factor, if you will, was to hold on. I'm not the gambling type, but there are times, in your life, where you just have to choose. Quickly. When I was a kid, we used to watch George of the Jungle. I remember the last 1.832 seconds before impact, thinking "this is gonna hurt like a muth..."
Old 07-27-2004, 01:19 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Knoxes

Got photos
Old 07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
LOL!
I took a swing off of a rope last weekend. When I let go I was about 25-30 feet off the water. An "OH S@#!" was about all I could say. Like an idiot I hit the water flat footed. It was fun, but I will never do that again.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Knoxes

She looked like Bridgette Fonda, but with a healthy 15 extra pounds.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Leroy

Great one! I used to go off the rope swing and clifts on Center Hill lake all the time during college. Other crazy fun like that was jumping off bridges, there are a bunch of great ones up in the Smokies.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 PM
MC Master Poster

I never thought Brigette Fonda looked bad without the 15 pounds. Ever seen "The Road To Wellville"?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:18 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I used to go visit my buddies up at Univ of Fla alot. On the outskirts of Gainesville, down some dirt roads etc their is a BIG sink hole. But, this one is different. You would never know that it was even their. It's completely enclosed by trees. It's probably a few hundred feet in diameter, no real sandy are either (obviously). You climb up the roots. I'm told it's about 100 ft deep. It had the bluest water I've ever seen (being military I've traveled). Anyway, these guys would take spear guns and shoot the spears with a cable attached and in turn to the rope and tie them off. Also, I forgot to mention they're is a steady slope down the sides into the water. If you were in the water it's a good 75 ft up to the top of the hill in the tree line. So, you get ahold of this 40 -50 ft rope and start running down the hill and swing out. You've got to be close to 40-45 ft out of the water, maybe more. You fall for a good 2 or 3 seconds. It's a good place to go hang out, drink some beer, see some "crazy" stuff watch the girls lose tops or get a self inflicted "g" string, then get run off by the sheriff (Barney Phife)...anyway, memories!

Good story Knoxes!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Not to put a damper on the rope swing thread, I wanted to share a recent experience. We've all swung off rope swings, cliff jumped off the rocks, but last weekend one of my best friends died swinging into a lake. He was up in Northern MN and went out w/ one of his buddies to a spot they had gone to since they were kids. His friend jumped first, then Jeff went and something very wrong happened and he came up floating unconscious and his friend was unable to pull him in before he sank. This was not a very high swing, 10-15', and the water was plenty deep enough. Don't know his actual cause of death yet, but I've lost a great friend.
I'm sure this won't keep me from doing these things. On Sunday we were at the lake jumping 20-30' into the water, but what a tragedy!
I couldn't pass up this thread w/o saying something, as I will be going back to Minneapolis for his funeral on Thurs. Even though he was doing this in a safe area, I wanted to remind everyone of the potential dangre involved.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:38 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Sorry to hear it Thrall. Best Regards.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Knoxes

Ditto. Just a tragic story. My most sincere condolences.