Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft 197 TT
Need Help - Lost Power to Gauge Cluster

2005 ProStar 197 TT, MCX, 320 hours. Let me try to sum up my troubles from yesterdayís boating. I was out all day and the boat ran like a top and on the way back to the dock running about 30 mph, the boat shut off abruptly (meaning the engine and transmission died) and we coasted to a stop. No check engine lights, nothing indicating there is/was a problem.

Upon further review, I noticed that I still had power to all of my accessories (stereo, everything controlled by the toggle switches), but no power to the gauge cluster (except for PP). The boat will turn over, but there is no power to the cluster, nor can I hear the fuel pump prime.

Iíve checked the breaker panel under the dash and nothing was tripped. Iíve also checked the relays and all three are good. Sounds to me that it might be a short somewhere, but Iím at a loss. I thought I recall on previous threads that MC's had a master reset, if so, I cannot find it.

Anyone have any clues? Weíre headed to Beaver Lake for a week on Monday with the boat and would sure like to get this issue identified and fixed. If I canít, going to see if I can drop it off to have Ski and Sports, Inc. in Rogers, AR take a look. Thanks!
#8 of 100
Old 07-05-2013, 09:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by erervin View Post
2005 ProStar 197 TT, MCX, 320 hours. Let me try to sum up my troubles from yesterday’s boating. I was out all day and the boat ran like a top and on the way back to the dock running about 30 mph, the boat shut off abruptly (meaning the engine and transmission died) and we coasted to a stop. No check engine lights, nothing indicating there is/was a problem.

Upon further review, I noticed that I still had power to all of my accessories (stereo, everything controlled by the toggle switches), but no power to the gauge cluster (except for PP). The boat will turn over, but there is no power to the cluster, nor can I hear the fuel pump prime.

I’ve checked the breaker panel under the dash and nothing was tripped. I’ve also checked the relays and all three are good. Sounds to me that it might be a short somewhere, but I’m at a loss. I thought I recall on previous threads that MC's had a master reset, if so, I cannot find it.

Anyone have any clues? We’re headed to Beaver Lake for a week on Monday with the boat and would sure like to get this issue identified and fixed. If I can’t, going to see if I can drop it off to have Ski and Sports, Inc. in Rogers, AR take a look. Thanks!
Look on the engine's harness for fuse holders and check the fuses. They'll be relatively close to the ECM and marked as to their purpose.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I have to ask this, did you check out the safety lanyard?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft 197 TT
First thing I checked. I also replaced the battery with a spare I had laying around to check that off. Still looking...

I cannot find any fuses to speak of anywhere, only the breaker panel under the dash. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
#8 of 100
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Isn't there a group of fuses at the rear of the engine above the bell housing?