Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 14 xstar
2014 XStar Build Thread

Ok guys, some of you have seen that my current boat is listed in the "for sale" forum here. I've got a build date of August for its replacement and I'll need to decide on colors/options over the next week or two. Therefore, I'd like some input on a few things...

Tower: I like the looks of the power tower much better than the ZFT4 but have no need for the power feature. Experiences? Also, has anyone opted for the over tower cover? I think it would be useful as I will store her on a lift outdoors (with roof), but would help keep it cleaner.

She will have the 7.4L Illmor simply because I believe in never skimping on power.

Here's the color scheme as of today.

Name:  xstar.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  xstar1.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  34.6 KB

I think the black interior is the different type of vinyl than the weave design, correct? i'm a little worried of having what I think is a more delicate vinyl on the base of the seats where people will be stepping and such. I do not want to go all lime green interior, id rather break it up with black. Suggestions?

The boat is largely designed to this one found at mastercraft uk.

Name:  uk.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  uk1.jpg
Views: 4628
Size:  70.5 KB

Last edited by mpabreo; 06-18-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
yikes, black deck in LA? thats gunna be hot
Old 06-08-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
My dealer suggested using a local guy for my cover as opposed to the one from the factory. Did one that covers the tower while folded down, did an excellent job. Thought this would do a much better job keeping the tower and speakers clean, I would highly recommend going this route. I can post a pic if you want.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraft13 View Post
My dealer suggested using a local guy for my cover as opposed to the one from the factory. Did one that covers the tower while folded down, did an excellent job. Thought this would do a much better job keeping the tower and speakers clean, I would highly recommend going this route. I can post a pic if you want.
Sure, post a pic if you have one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpabreo View Post
Sure, post a pic if you have one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
I have been in and ridden behind that star in the pic. Love the colour combo it looks even better in real life.

I would also choose the power tower for the looks but the zft4 looks really nice too.

I didn't think the material was any different for the black but I can't say for sure
Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Crownline 182 (sold), 2012 Mastercraft X2
We have a 2012 x2 with zft5 pt, and over tower cover. We need to drive 20 min to the ramp, always travel with cover, it keeps tower clean and clear of bugs. Boat is stored inside so don't know about rain.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.0L Red w/Silver Flake
After owning a boat with a ZFT5p and now a ZFT4, I much prefer the ZFT4. The power tower did look cool, but I was one of those who had the electric actuators fail, then it took 2 months for MC to figure out how to get the new hydraulic system up and running. Once it was all figured out it worked well, but I had had enough. I love the rigidity and simplicity of the ZFT4, and I never have to worry again about showing up to the lake with a busted tower. I doubt they are turning out many power towers any more, if any.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X45 6.2L
I love the power tower. It's how's down so easy and looks the best of all the towers. My 45 came with the over the tower cover and it's awesome. Really helps keep the boat and tower covered. I don't really tow with mine to much but it's a great cover. I have somewhat dark interior in my boat but not black and it still gets hot in this Louisiana sun.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
The "over the tower cover" is a must!!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be sure to ask my dealer about the power tower issues. I think AZX is correct about not producing many power towers any more (unless they've reconciled the issues). When looking at the MC sponsored riders xstars (zane, rusty, nicola) , most of them do not have the power tower. Harley's is the only I've seen with it. Not even the PWT boat has the power tower. There's gotta be some reason behind that.