Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Lt1 Crankshaft Needed

I just found out today that my crankshaft out of my 98 Maristar Corvette LT1 can not be saved, the boat overheated and spun a bearing. The crank is scored and bent/warped.

The machine shop has 2 steel, 1pc. rear main seal cranks that were pulled out of motors to make 383 strokers. Would a crank from an older Vortec motor work in the LT1 or is it balanced differently?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Since you are asking about special balancing issues I think you have already been told or have done some searching yourself.

Quote:

CRANKS
350 - The crank for the LT1 looks just like the one in the late 350 and has the same casting number 14088526, but it’s balanced for the lightweight pistons that were installed in the LT1. Be sure to keep these cranks separate so they don’t end up in a regular 350, and don’t ever use a regular 350 crank in a LT1. In fact, if you are short of LT1 cranks and don’t have a balancing machine in your shop, you would be better off using a crank from a 305 instead of a 350 because it’s actually closer to the balance specs for the LT1 crank.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Since you are asking about special balancing issues I think you have already been told or have done some searching yourself.
Thank you. I've done some research but I don't thoroughly understand it. If you use a standard SBC crank can you have the rotating assembly balance and be within spec?