Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post
There's still boating there but the only public access is to launch from the banks. The few times I've been on Travis (in other boats) the water was rather choppy so I'm sure any of us with ProStars will get beat half to death.
You have to go up river to the Pedernales. Smooth as can be (assuming there is water).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I would have loved to live in Austin in the 80s and 90s... Now, not so much.
It was a lot of fun. My sister lived there in the early to mid 80s. I lived there in the early to mid 90s. My sister in law and her family just moved back to Houston from Austin. My brother in law may move back to Austin at some point (he works there and commutes over an hour at the moment). It still has a lot going for it as a city, but very little of the hutzpa that once embodied it. The music scene and worthwhile bar scene long ago moved away from 6th street.

Right now, there is a lot of activity on East 6th well to the east of 35. It used to be that was the part of Austin we avoided. But, now, it's got a lot going on.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '02 X-Star. Previous: '98 SportStar, '89 ProStar
I moved to San Antonio 10 years ago and I think it's a great city. I love New Braunfels area but stay away from Austin whenever possible. Though there are a lot of positives in regards to the "vibe" of the city, I think it's way too much of a hassle to deal with.

Since you've got a ProStar, I would stay away from all of the big lakes in the Austin/San Antonio area. I was on Canyon Lake today and was reminded why I almost never go there with my SportStar. Not fun. You'd be much better suited checking out Lakes Dunlap, McQueeney, Placid, even Medina (if it ever gets water again).
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
yes, there is some humidity in Austin during the summer but considerably less than Houston, mostly gulf breeze brings it in from the coast (prevailing SE winds). Odd enough, you can go 20-40 miles west, northwest and north and the humidity drastically drops due to the hill country almost acts like a dam for the moisture. Houston can be 95+%, Austin will be 75-85+%, Georgetown 50%, Burnet 30% ...

A lot depends on what type of "scene" you are looking for ... as to location you would want to live in / around. We settled in Georgetown following college 30+ years ago and raised our family there, it's home for us.

Lake Travis has good water depending on boat traffic and wind direction. It's a pretty deep lake, so the 50 foot drop merely closes off public access and might leave some docks/slips high and dry but the lake itself snakes following the original river channel with some decent bluffs to provide wind breaks to give flat water unless boat traffic has it rollered up. There are a few dry stack places and marina's with slip rentals available on Travis even when the lake level is very low.

I grew up in Burnet where Buchanan, Inks and LBJ were within 15-30 minutes drive, so we rarely ever went to Travis. Now living in Georgetown, we can be on LBJ (our favorite) in roughly an hour where Travis would be ~45 minutes to the closest ramp IF there was water to launch... So we opt for LBJ since it's constant level and we are very familar with it. Lake Georgetown is fairly small relatively speaking but only 5 minutes from garage to ramp that we use frequently for partial day trips and after work during the week.

If you work out of your home, you might also consider Marble Falls / Horseshoe bay both of which would be under an hour commute back into Austin but much closer to Lake LBJ ... Just a thought. Kingsland might also work, but a little over an hour into the western portion of Austin.

I'll pass your contact info on to my wife but might be late this week or next before she contacts you. She is working a church camp this week and trying to keep her normal responsibilities (work and her mom) in a compressed timeframe.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Here's a shot from Hula Hut on Lake Austin this past Saturday. Many MasterCrafts out including 3 S&S boats. The scenery here is pretty darn good too!
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Love eating at Hula Hut and follow up with Mozarts afterwards!

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Just got back from a week of house hunting in Austin. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. We saw some amazing live music, and we were only there for week nights. If its this good on a Tuesday night it must have been unreal in the 80's and 90's since those that were there then say its not as good now. We ate at some amazing restaurants and heard about even more that we can't wait to try. We found a place just outside downtown but walkable to 6th street, SoCo, and the warehouse district, and very close to Rainey street. We even have a view of the river and downtown. We can't wait to get down there and explore the city more. Once we get down there I'll be on the hunt for affordable moorage on the water somewhere and if I can find something we can afford I'll drag the boat down. Either way we are very excited about this adventure.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 AM
MC Hero

Glad you enjoyed it.

I thought only Rachel Ray called South Congress "SoCo." (sorry, pet peeve).

Next time you go out for a bite, try Frank on 4th and Colorado. Great place.

Easy Tiger (E. 6th and Sabine), Koriente (7th and Red River), Magnolia (S. Congress), and Hop Doddy (S. Congress) are well worth checking out as well.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
[quote=east tx skier;981802]
I thought only Rachel Ray called South Congress "SoCo." (sorry, pet peeve).
QUOTE]

If SoCo doesn't work out, he can alway look into L.A. (lower Arkansas)!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_ski View Post
I'll be on the hunt for affordable moorage on the water somewhere and if I can find something we can afford I'll drag the boat down. Either way we are very excited about this adventure.
It's probably free right now since they don;t have any water ;/

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...