Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Moving to Texas. . .

Taking a new job and moving to south Texas, probably Austin. Looking for some info on where to live and what the boating situation is like out there. We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment so we'll have a guestroom and a room for an office as I'll be working from home. Would like to find a lake I could rent a slip on so we don't have to trailer.

Also any other info you guys have on the area. We're also looking at the Houston/Galveston area but leaning more towards Austin.

Really looking forward to getting away from the snow for awhile.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
What kinda skiing do you do?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_ski View Post
Taking a new job and moving to south Texas, probably Austin. Looking for some info on where to live and what the boating situation is like out there. We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment so we'll have a guestroom and a room for an office as I'll be working from home. Would like to find a lake I could rent a slip on so we don't have to trailer.

Also any other info you guys have on the area. We're also looking at the Houston/Galveston area but leaning more towards Austin.

Really looking forward to getting away from the snow for awhile.
Austin is great. Vibrant city and growing (too fast for its infrastructure though). Great music scene, BBQ and Tex Mex aplenty. If you're into fitness Austin is a great fit, road And mountain biking (great trails inside city limits and challenging hilly roads). Many Bike, Running and TRI races here basically year round.

Living inside Austin will cost more than the numerous suburbs and it is the most expensive city for housing in Texas. Rentals are somewhat scarce but more properties are coming up out of the ground.

Lake Austin (constant level) and Lake Travis both have marinas to dock your boat. Travis is 50 feet below full pool and thus all of the public launches are closed. Other nearby lakes include Lake Georgetown, Lake LBJ, lake Buchanan along with others roughly an hour or so away.

My family and I moved here five years ago and are very happy we did.

Mike
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
We use to ski Lake Austin a lot, but since Lake Travis has been down so low for so long, it seems like every boat in central Texas is there. It is down right dangerous on the weekends! My parents live on the lake and will no longer put there boat in the water on weekends. The LRCA really needs to step in and put some restrictions on the # of boats allowed on the lake. It's a very long, narrow body of water, in most places not any wider than a river.

For now, we stay closer to home and frequent local lakes around Houston. Conroe is a mess on the weekends unless you get out early and run the gauntlet through the stumps to the far north end.

Last edited by gts-20; 06-06-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Austin is still a great town, but, as mentioned, it has grown way too fast for its infrastructure. And, on a personal note, it's not the Austin that made me want to move back there for ten years after I left.

Houston is also a great town, but the weather in the summer is brutally humid. Still, the restaurants are plentiful, the beach is close, and, apart from the heat/humidity, it's a good place to live with plenty to do. As for the lakes, I'd say go private or drive up to the northern end of the Trinity river and flush well afterward.

Dallas is Dallas. It's nice with plenty to do, but it isn't nearly as laid back as Austin and, to a lesser degree, Houston. Fort Worth is pretty cool, and a little closer to the water ski honey hole and a laid back town.

To the east, there are more lakes than you could shake a stick at, and we have lots of water this year. But, even as a happy resident of this part of Texas, if you are looking for city life, this isn't it. It took me a long time to adjust to east Texas, even in a town of 100,000, after living in Houston and Austin all of my life. Still, I can be at the lake in 15 minutes (5 if I leave straight from the office).

Then, there's my personal favorite (south of Austin/north of San Antonio). New Braunfels, San Marcos, Blanco, Wimberley, Buda, Dripping Springs, etc.). Lots of private lakes for slalom along I-35. Austin is driveable. Smaller towns with Austin right up the road (but take the back road to get there).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Skiing is illegal in Tx. now.

So move along...
Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
when are you planning on moving???

I might have the perfect fit for you ... My wife works in real estate and property management (~40 properties) in the Georgetown area. I believe they only have houses or possibly townhomes that they manage. Georgetown is far enough away from Austin to get out of some of the headaches, large enough to have major shopping/restaurants/businesses and small enough to have it's own identity (charm) and festivals. Lake Georgetown is a great smaller lake, Lake Belton is 30 minutes to the north, Travis 45-50 minutes SW, Lake LBJ less than an hour (depending on what part of Gtown), Lake Austin less than an hour depending on traffic. There is a marina on most of these (not lake Gtown though) where slips can be had. 20-40 minute drive into most parts of Austin (depending on time of day), less than an hour to Waco (but why go there?)...

just depends on your lifestyle and wants on whether to live in some of the burbs or in the city. Let me know if you would like some information on rental properties in Georgetown and I will get you hooked up. As an example, a nice 3 bed/2 bath/2 car garage house in a nicer/desireable neighborhood in Gtown would be in the $1100-1400/month range ... are you dead set on an apartment?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

We'll be moving the second half of September. We're not dead set on an apartment. We'd welcome a house or townhouse for rent, but I figured an apartment would be easier. I'll PM you my number pmkkdx and you can pass it on to your wife. We'd love to hear about the properties she deals with.

We're mostly free-skiers, so having a course isn't a must have on the lake. Are there ski clubs on private lakes near Austin? What kind of fees are we talking about with those?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you everyone who has chimed in. Keep the information and thoughts coming. Its a little nerve-wracking moving so far away the first time and I really appreciate the local knowledge.

Does Lake Travis being so far down mean that no one is boating right now? Or is the fact that the public launches are closed just make it hard to access?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Is Austin very humid in the summer?