Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
My engine has rust on it and its never been in salt water. and its a 1990 tristar. it kind of worries me.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.H. View Post
My engine has rust on it and its never been in salt water. and its a 1990 tristar. it kind of worries me.
Brackish is almost as bad - do you boat on a river?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
No. Im in north carolina and original owner of boat had it at lake norman in dry stack then second owner kept it at a small local lake called oak hollow lake which is a watershed for the city of high point. He did keep stored in the lake parking lot under a crappy cover though so im guessing thats where the rust came from. I hope any ways. Only has a little over 300 hours so it unfortunately sat a whole lot. I have got it pretty clean and reliable now but the rust does bother me. Next buy will probably be a 4160 carb. Or sell boat for something newer
Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.H. View Post
No. Im in north carolina and original owner of boat had it at lake norman in dry stack then second owner kept it at a small local lake called oak hollow lake which is a watershed for the city of high point. He did keep stored in the lake parking lot under a crappy cover though so im guessing thats where the rust came from. I hope any ways. Only has a little over 300 hours so it unfortunately sat a whole lot. I have got it pretty clean and reliable now but the rust does bother me. Next buy will probably be a 4160 carb. Or sell boat for something newer
Good call - once my 4160 was properly tuned, my boat's been very happy

As far as rust, probably inevitable to some degree. I will say, I will never (ever ever ever ever) take my boat to the Brazos again, seeing what it did to my GFs trailer in 13 years (had to buy a new one)

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
That galvanized trailer makes me think salt water.... I've seen 1st hand what brackish water does to boats and trailers, I'd be wary.
True but in some areas dealers elect to purchase boats with out trailers due to shipping efficiency - they then have local trailer mfg's put something under it. And many aftermarket trailers are aluminum or galvanized.

After seeing what 25+ years of outdoor summer storage can do to an old trailer you start wishing MC would have hot dipped them.

The "lick the carpet" trick seems to be more useful for salt - and looking for salt residues where it is not easy to clean - back by rudder port etc.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Trailer looks aluminum I beam to me. Galv is usually tube at that size?
Nice thing about the 91's is they went to an all fiberglass layup so no stringer rot.
I don't see much rust that would indicate saltwater but look it over.
The Tri-star with integrated swim platform is not some of my favorites due to the relatively small shelf and loss of internal space since the length is measured of the hull, you lose some.
Vinyl looks decent from pics and engine cup holder does not appear to be broken which can be an indication of heavy use (or one careless drop).

A look at the underside of the switch panel can be an indicator or salt water/air exposure as green corrosion can develop heavier on those electrical parts.
Do a compression and leak down test of the motor to determine if there are any potential motor issues.
Rear seat upholstery appears to have typical staining that will never go away. Can be cleaned or disappear in the sun but it will return.

Not knowing basic terminology tells me you need to get someone knowledgeable to look the boat over. Recruit an experienced boat mechanic or take it to another shop and pay for an inspection. This $100 expense will easily pay for itself in detecting a problem or negotiating a better price.

So many factors will go into pricing a boat of that age but nada is a good starting point. A solid boat may go for more given the ever increasing price of new and you are buying in high season. A new trailer is going to bump the price but the dealer has obviously calculated this into his sales expectation.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Exactly what he said ^^^.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
The "lick the carpet" trick seems to be more useful
AGREE!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 and 1998 Baha Cruiser Mach 1 290
since it appears you bought a different boat mind telling us what they were asking for the tristar?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft prostar 190
Sure not a problem.. I had the guy talked down to $8500, but it was in Buford, GA.