Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
That is what I was going to say. Also you dont want much bass from the tower dude. U wanna hear it while wakeboarding.

Either way you might wanna look into a remote level knob so you can cut off the tower when ur are not wakeboarding.

PAC LV1 will work i have 2 for my tower, 1 for the rev8s and 1 for the pro485...

and yes those are pro80s i think
Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Your perception of the Pro80 (not a Rev8) is formed by the aggressive treble peak from HLCD tweeter. If you attentuate the tweeter with some equalization you will find the midbass to be not great but more prominent than you previously thought. Your entire perception of that speaker is formed by a narrow dominance. It's just how the human auditory system works.
Those amplifiers draw some serious current. Hopefully you have good voltage, no less than a 4-gauge supply to each amplifier with no more than a 15 foot supply run.
You are comparing an 8-inch speaker in a 0.15 cu.ft. displacement pod on the tower with zero reinforcing planes against a 7.7-inch infinite baffle speaker working in an expansive coaming cavity down in the bathtub. Of course you get more bass extension from the in-boat.
Pod displacement is as equally impactful on deep bass as surface area. So you are never going to get more than midbass from any tower speaker.

David
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
TT Regular

The speakers you have are the PRO 80 and PRO 485. The 3-Some as we call it.

With the JL amps you have. If you bridge the 300/4 to the PRO 80. You get 150x2 and with the 300/4 bridged to the PR 485, you get 300x1.

This is about half of what we like to run. The PRO 80 are rated at 200 watts RMS but 300 to 400 is where most run them. The PRO 485 is rated at 300 watts rms. However most run 400-600 to them.

You should still be getting good full range sound with solid mid bass with the power you have. You are just not getting the most volume and dynamics from them. However I have heard that set up before and it works just fine. So dont go changing amps just yet.

Make sure to set the system with everything flat. What deck do you have? Do you have a eq like the WS-420? One of the issues you may be running into is lack of voltage to the amplfiers. You have 3 amplifiers and if you have a weak signal going to them. This is a place to consider an upgrade.

Make sure the crossovers on the JL amps are like above. High pass about 80hz. Can go down to 60 ot 70. Make sure it is on X1 and NOT x10. As that will multiply times 10. So if you have 80 and the switch on x10. you are crossing them over at 800HZ.

Then set your gains. The towers should have a ton of volume and mid bass. The horns are going to be hot on the pro speakers however you should still have solid mid bass. With the WS-420, you can tone the horns down as david mentioned and have the perception of more mid bass. Many times your ears can perceive a speaker with less highs as having more mid bass, but they dont have less mid bass, just more highs.

I think the issue is tuning first. And then power would be second. However you should be OK.

You can always give us a call at 877-938-7757 and see if we have a dealer near you that can wire up and tune the system for you.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
The heavy weights pretty much laid it out there on the technical side so here is my $.02.

I had two 485's powered by a Rockford T600-4 bridged = 300w/ch. They sounded good and loud.
The mid bass really woke up when I stepped up to a pair of RF T600-2 each bridged = 600w. Mid-bass had punch I didn't know I was missing. The horns are so much more efficient, they reach potential long before the more power hungry mids do.
If you want the big dogs to run, don't put them on a short leash. Buck up for better power which will likely mean improvements all the way back. Amps, power wire, batteries.

Also, not mentioned directly yet are your amps basic characteristics. The Sony is made to be a little sloppy on its control. This will make the speakers hooked up to it sound louder on the bass at lower volumes but may tend to distort more at high volume. In your case, the tightness of the JL speakers may offset some. Put that Sony behind Sony or Kicker speakers and you will see what I mean.
JL amps are incredibly tight and accurate which sacrifices volume for speaker control which is another reason you don't feel the WS mid-bass punch.

I would bet if you bridged the Sony and ran it to the towers, they would have more bass sound. (two channels to the 485 and parallel the 8s into the other two channels. Don't turn it up too far, again the Sony is sloppy, under powered and probably not 2ohm stable for long on the 8s)
In boat, even if you hook the 300x2 to one pair and bridge the 300x4 to the other pair, your in-boat JL's will have a very different sound.
I don't recommend this as a long term solution, just a learning exercise.

This is why I stress to LISTEN to an amp/speaker pairing in their intended ENVIRONMENT or at least know the general trends of the manufacturer before selecting an amp/speaker combo. Simply matching power rating will lead to very different sounds. As will picking a speaker/amp combo for a boat in a small sound demo room or using an instrumental jazz track to demo when your music tendencies are dance/hip hop.

Finally, we don't know what head unit is installed but there may need to be better power balance and control between the in-boat and tower speakers. If you don't have at least 2 sets of outputs to balance in-boats on front and tower on rear fader for example, one will reach max output before the other. You could make this adjustment with the amp's gain control but its not really the right way and output will likely be sacrificed somewhere.
As mentioned, the WS 420 can be a more accessible solution for power control plus attenuate the highs if that is an issue for you.

If all else fails, take it to a Professional, preferably one that has done more than "a few" boat installs.

Last edited by bsloop; 06-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 PM
MC Fanatic

"JL amps are incredibly tight and accurate which sacrifices volume for speaker control which is another reason you don't feel the WS mid-bass punch."

Sorry, but where in the world do these notions come from? There is absolutely zero technical function to support such a claim.
The truth is that the JL Audio Slash amplifier has a strictly regulated power supply which is a completely independent section from the audio amplifier. This type power supply has to be about 30% more robust to offer constant power at lower voltage supplies. And that will translate to better performance in all aspects, especially in low frequency bandwidth and extension as you begin to rail on the amplifier or as voltage begins to dip. The constant supply also translates to better sound quality. Do you think it's advantageous for all the electronics parts, ICs, transistors, etc. to operate on a range of voltage from 11 to 14 volts? Are all these parts operating within tolerances with an unregulated supply and such wide voltage swings?
'Strictly Regulated' does not mean 'controlled' or 'limited' or 'governed'.

David
Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
OK thanks for your help guys. Tight and uncomfortable spaces, but here's what I did. I added a second battery, a Borg Warner relay, and I hooked it up as follows

Sony gtx6040 which has 60 rms per channel to the 4 JL in ship speakers

JL 300/4V2 bridged to the Pro 80's

JL 300/2V2 bridged to the Pro 485

I have a Clarion CMD7 head unit. From what I can tell the head unit has 4 (total) rca outputs, front R, front L, rear non fader L, and rear non fader R. I used Front R and Front L to run to the Sony amp for the in ship speakers. The JL 300/2V2 had a preout, so I ran rear non fader R to the 300/2 and then the preout from that amp over to the 300/4 as well as the rear non fader L from the head unit to the other channel on the 300/4. I used the little power switch in the glove box (mine wasn't hooked up to anything so I have no idea what it ever did) and I'm using as the remote power for the two JL's going to the tower so I can have them on or off whenever.

It sounds pretty good. The tower speakers seem to be getting lots of power. They are very loud, but not a lot of bass (I understand from some of your posts that this is exactly how they are intended to sound. I think I will add a sub and another amp. Maybe a 10-12 inch sub at the drivers feet?

One more question. In the head unit Clarion CMD7, I had to turn the rear non fader level to +6 (as high as it goes) to make the tower speakers volume match (fairly closely) to the in ship speakers. I have the sensitivity on half on the JL amps. Sound about right?
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Make sure the there isn't something funky with the crossover settings on the JL amps.. like the X10 switch (if they have one).

Also on the head unit make sure that the "loudness" feature isn't enabled. That made my factory JL's sound aweful. Put the tone controls as flat before you dial in your amp settings.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 PM
MC Fanatic

One small detail to keep in mind. The JL Audio pass-through RCA is not an internal 'Y'. Rather it is a buffered output meaning that the amplifier external output is driven by an independent OP amp. So....the gains of the two amplifiers may be far from symmetrical since they are not driven by the same pre-amp level.

David
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Might wanna look into an EQ to mount. I found that to be the easier when needing to run more than 2 amps.

Precision Power PPI E.DZ can be had for less than $50 on ebay.

The sub cut out under your feet is 10" and if you use the JL audio AMP / Sub setup from the factory it will sound but make you want more.

I can get you the specs on the bow filler box, which has been the best addition so far.

A 12" in the storage compartment was next best but took up too much storage space.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X1
Do you have any more pics of the tower? Im trying to decide what setup to get and cant decide if the 3some would lool good or not asthetically on the 06 x1 tower.