Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Need to know if I'm paying to much for 01 xstar

So I found a 2001 xstar here in the the NW for $18k. Here is the down low on the boat. Boat is not in great shape. Interior was redone so they addressed that issue but the carpet needs to be replaced. The hull has over 1100 hours on it but he said it has a factory recall motor that only has 854 hours. He has no documention on the motor being replaced. I think I could probalbly get serial number off motor and call Indmar and find out if he is telling the truth but I don't know if they could tell me if the hours are correct??? So without proof I assume we're tallking about a boat with around 1150 hours. Also he has only owned the boat for 4 years and says he dosn't have any service records. It would be on his word only. He said he looked into getting the boat gel coat redone. So I assume the gel in in bad shape. Now I haven't seen the boat yet so I'm not sure if it could be wet sanded cut and buff or if the gel is bad enough that it would require new. Pictures didn't look bad but you can't tell anything until you actually see boat in person.

So with that being said what is a good price to start out with? Obviously I would have the boat checked out by my shop before I agree on a price but if the motor is good and considering the hours and condition what is a fair price? I feel $18k is just too high but I don't know.

Thanks guys
Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
My Boat nada book says 16k trade in but hours seem high and needs work i think 13-14k.. Just my 2c
Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

I was thinking around the same number. The hours don't scare me as much as not having any service records. Plus if it needs a gel coat I know thats big money. My last boat it was $10k for a complet gel coat and it was a good deal since I did some trade. I'm scared what the shop might find.

How much for a crate motor for one of these with labor?

What other issues were a concern with the early xstars?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
I stopped reading halfway through that mess. I'd be pretty leary. Take it for what it's worth, but my opinion is to keep looking. If it's close, I'd say go take a peak at it, but if they didn't even bother to keep service records, how well do you think they took care of the boat in those 4 years?

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 06-04-2013, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

I just called the shop and he said he wouldn't touch the boat unless it was for like $10k. He said he was more concerned about knowing if it was a marine engine that was put back in. Plus he said the hours were a huge concern not knowing the service. I'll probably offer the guy $10k and if he says no then I know there is a better turn key boat out there.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Wow! Usually the seller is overly optimistic about how good of condition their boat is in compared to what a buyer thinks.

So to recap....1,000's of hours, suspect maintenance, no records on engine replacement, and owner is considering it may need to be regelled?

Would love to see pictures but I would be running away from this if anything over $12K!

Last edited by Rossterman; 06-05-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Wow! Usually the seller is overly optimistic about how good of condition their boat is in compared to a seller.

So to recap....1,000's of hours, suspect maintenance, no records on engine replacement, and owner is considering it may need to be regelled?

Would love to see pictures but I would be running away from this if anything over $12K!
lol!!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
On the other side of things sometimes people just dont know what they have or do they care and its a great way to score a great deal... Cant tell you how many Motorcycles, boats cars i have purchased just because of those reasons.. and they really just need a little TLC and have a big pay out ...always worth a little time if you have it to inspect
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
On the other side of things sometimes people just dont know what they have or do they care and its a great way to score a great deal... Cant tell you how many Motorcycles, boats cars i have purchased just because of those reasons.. and they really just need a little TLC and have a big pay out ...always worth a little time if you have it to inspect
Well he did tell me that he got a quote to fix the gelcoat and it was $3k. So obviously it has issues in that department. Its good to score a good deal but I don't want to lose my ***.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
to bad you are up in the northwest. there is a really nice looking 205v in Wichita Kansas

http://wichita.craigslist.org/boa/3792850484.html