Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 04, X10, 350MCX
04 x10 Trailer

Was wondering if someone could give me some advice on this, I have an 04 X10 Tandum trailer, 4 wheel surge disk brakes, oil bath hubs with about 4000 miles on it. I had the trailer up on jack stands today and noticed that I could wiggle the wheels back and forth when they were off the ground. I'm not a mechanic, but the way I understand it the wheel should spin freely and there should be no play in it. Each wheel has a different degree of play in them. Would this be the bearings wearing out? The oil level in the hubs seems fine. All about 3/4 full. This is the first time I've had it in the air so I really don't know how to guage the wear and tear. Is this normal or do I have a potential issue?

Any thoughts would be appreciated....Jim
Old 10-03-2005, 11:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Was wondering if someone could give me some advice on this, I have an 04 X10 Tandum trailer, 4 wheel surge disk brakes, oil bath hubs with about 4000 miles on it. I had the trailer up on jack stands today and noticed that I could wiggle the wheels back and forth when they were off the ground. I'm not a mechanic, but the way I understand it the wheel should spin freely and there should be no play in it. Each wheel has a different degree of play in them. Would this be the bearings wearing out? The oil level in the hubs seems fine. All about 3/4 full. This is the first time I've had it in the air so I really don't know how to guage the wear and tear. Is this normal or do I have a potential issue?

Any thoughts would be appreciated....Jim
Lugs all tight (re-torqed?). If so, then it sounds like bearings.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:54 PM
stevoh20

I was told by an engineer from Tie-Down (hub and SS Disc Brake mfgr) that the Stainless Steel discs were too hot for the liquid bath hubs. You would have had to go with the vented disc brakes and I don't believe that those were Stainless. I'm not sure who your mfg is, but that was the story from Tie Down when I was shopping for replacements last fall/winter.

When I jacked up my trailer, there was minimal play in the hub. Instructions indicate that you tighten the nut that holds the bearings, then back it off 1/8to 1/4 turn before locking it in place. It is messy to get there, but it is better to figure out the severity of the problem in your garage than the side of some road. Plus, if you let it go too long, you may damage your spindle, and then your start talking big $.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
There should be no wobble. Bearings is your best place to start assuming you have checked the obvious lug nuts. Are you sure it is the wheel moving on the spindle and not the spindle moving on the suspension? What do you have Leaf springs or torsion?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 04, X10, 350MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
There should be no wobble. Bearings is your best place to start assuming you have checked the obvious lug nuts. Are you sure it is the wheel moving on the spindle and not the spindle moving on the suspension? What do you have Leaf springs or torsion?
Reliable torsion axle suspension. Trailer is a MC trailer manufactured by Fabrique
Old 10-13-2005, 11:56 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
With only 4000 miles on the trailer, it sounds to me like you should try to snug up the bearings..

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo