Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Little update:
At 40 hours now and boat is flawless. Only two screen freeze ups. As for ballast, set drain times to about 2 minutes longer than fill times no issues.

Very happy with the 2013 System. Cruise and profiles are perfect. Gonna crush out another 80 hours yet before season is through.

Only issues now are some peeling to the grey matting on the sunpad walkway.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X10 6.0, 1993 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
Little update:
At 40 hours now and boat is flawless. Only two screen freeze ups. As for ballast, set drain times to about 2 minutes longer than fill times no issues.

Very happy with the 2013 System. Cruise and profiles are perfect. Gonna crush out another 80 hours yet before season is through.

Only issues now are some peeling to the grey matting on the sunpad walkway.
Just a FYI, I had my software updated a couple of weeks ago to a version dated 05312013 and I have not had a screen freeze up since.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

I am having a frequent problem with ballast gauges going haywire.

Yesterday: we are riding and I fill all ballast tanks to 40%.

Stop for a bit to eat. Then start back up again and ballast gauges now read 100%.

Look at bags (over tanks) and they are empty.

So now I can't put any more water in (except manually at 30 sec intervals, which would take forever) so had to "empty all" which ran pumps much longer than needed and then refill.

Getting real irritated at the flakiness of the ballast system in brand new $100,000 boat. Starting to wonder if I should have bought a G23.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x25
having very similiar issues as pap. empty tanks after a good solid day of riding then on our way into the marina i notice my tanks are 50%. hit empty all and i can hear the pumps gurgling which tells me they are clearly empty. my first issue was screen locks then a firmware upgrade fixed that and now i got this issue. very annoying and frustrating.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofresh View Post
having very similiar issues as pap. empty tanks after a good solid day of riding then on our way into the marina i notice my tanks are 50%. hit empty all and i can hear the pumps gurgling which tells me they are clearly empty. my first issue was screen locks then a firmware upgrade fixed that and now i got this issue. very annoying and frustrating.
Give me a call if you want re: the ballast issue I was able to figure mine out.

PM for contact info.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
Is it ok to run the ballast pumps on empty while the boat is on the trailer or on the lift, or does the boat need to be in the water to not damage the pumps / impellers?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Is it ok to run the ballast pumps on empty while the boat is on the trailer or on the lift, or does the boat need to be in the water to not damage the pumps / impellers?
Unsure, but during my fall service I'm going to have them inspect/replace the impellers if there is any damage, especially considering the issues I've had. To that point, the other day my system was acting up, would show 50%, then 10%, then 50% again.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
It's not like the engine impeller where you will damage it in a relatively short period of time. The impeller in the ballast pumps are much more flexible and will not be damaged. I'm assuming you are not talking about running them some extended amount of time but rather checking to ensure the ballast tanks are empty, verifying that the pumps work, etc. If you think about it they run dry after your tank empties while on the water. It takes a short period of time for the ballast controls to determine the tank is empty (I believe the control unit senses the amperage draw change when the pump looses prime in the case of emptying the tanks).
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
I am having a frequent problem with ballast gauges going haywire.

Yesterday: we are riding and I fill all ballast tanks to 40%.

Stop for a bit to eat. Then start back up again and ballast gauges now read 100%.

Look at bags (over tanks) and they are empty.

So now I can't put any more water in (except manually at 30 sec intervals, which would take forever) so had to "empty all" which ran pumps much longer than needed and then refill.

Getting real irritated at the flakiness of the ballast system in brand new $100,000 boat. Starting to wonder if I should have bought a G23.
fed up with all the g23 talk around here. took me 30 seconds to google that nautique has the exact same screen freeze ups on their screen systems. had 0 problems with my Big system on my old 15, dont really know why you need touch screens on a boat anyways
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
fed up with all the g23 talk around here. took me 30 seconds to google that nautique has the exact same screen freeze ups on their screen systems. had 0 problems with my Big system on my old 15, dont really know why you need touch screens on a boat anyways
Fed up? Why? Because it is the most bad azz wake throwing machine made to date? Or because its one expensive sob? I took a demo set with 5 friends on Friday and was thoroughly impressed! Wake was so easy to hit yet booted you to the moon! At almost 9k of total weight between boat, ballast and people the thing locked in and turned as sharp as any 21' boat I've ever been in! All those rumors about handling like a tank are totally false. It felt great on the water. Only thing they need to work on is the price! Insane! But a similar equipped x-25 runs darn close to the price I got quoted so they are all insane!