Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
well I understand. just making sure they aren't actually filling up with water. and if I'm not mistaken the pumps get even louder when you rev it up, no? never revved my boat to 1500 to fill the tanks and I've been fine for three years. I understand you're pissed, but talking down to me like i have no clue what I'm talking about isn't going to help you either.
Sorry wasn't talking down. As per MC they haven't heard this issue yet. Anyone with high hours on their 2013's yet?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
Dealer told me to disconnect batteries for 10 minutes then reconnect. Well give that a try today see if it resets system.

Confirmed with dealer there are senders and timers and they work together to determine ballast levels.

Might be a programming/software issue.
Since the pumps weren't even running after the reset, and the sending units are already giving values to the electronics I'd give an uneducated guess that the sending units have a problem. But rather than looking like being hardware, it's probably software...

After what I've experienced with MC with numerous problems on my 2012, I guess they won't really talk to you or involve you in the process for (faster or better) problem solving, IMO that means they already know about their problems or they don't care to much for tech feedback. They just put it all on the dealer to mess with you, which doesen't get any more information than you either. You'll just wait and wait and wait and with one software version after another being put on your boat the problems might be gone someday, in my case, I count 20 months from manufacturing and 13 months from boat delivery to trouble free.

Last edited by Stefan; 06-06-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
MC Devotee

Hoping for a quick fix. It does seem to be software-related. Maybe ill need to remove PnP bags?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
Hoping for a quick fix. It does seem to be software-related. Maybe ill need to remove PnP bags?
Hoping for the best, expecting... well you get the point. Don't think removing the piggback bags will help, why do you think so?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

I noted this issue as well and was informed by my dealer that the tanks have sending units but they are not involved with timing of emptying.

Therefore what is happening is that we get timers set up to empty the tank (and I run mine until I hear they are dry) but then when boat shifts position etc more water may come down into the sensor area and so it changes again.

I have bags plumbed as overflow from my tanks. I don't know where the pumps are in relation to the actual hard tanks, but it appears they may not be at a drop/low point so the entire tank is not always sloped correctly to drain 100%

Basically at this point I have my timers set to pump to just a bit of overflow and the empty correctly. When I pull out, I can often run another 30 sec to a min of water out of them.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
I noted this issue as well and was informed by my dealer that the tanks have sending units but they are not involved with timing of emptying.

Therefore what is happening is that we get timers set up to empty the tank (and I run mine until I hear they are dry) but then when boat shifts position etc more water may come down into the sensor area and so it changes again.

I have bags plumbed as overflow from my tanks. I don't know where the pumps are in relation to the actual hard tanks, but it appears they may not be at a drop/low point so the entire tank is not always sloped correctly to drain 100%

Basically at this point I have my timers set to pump to just a bit of overflow and the empty correctly. When I pull out, I can often run another 30 sec to a min of water out of them.
Thanks for the thorough response.

Does make sense, however, for example in one instance, I turned my boat on and it was showing 100% in one tank (and I know it was thoroughly drained), therefore, I had to empty for nearly 6 minutes to drain an empty tank and get it to show zero. The shortcut to this is to go into the timer screen and set the timer for 10 seconds then the pump only needs to run for a few seconds to get to zero. I wonder if those senders could be disabled somehow?

It sounds to me like you feel your system is working adequately? I have 7 people now with 2013's that are all citing issues with these levels, funny considering MC told my dealer this is the first MC has heard about it.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm not sure mine is working 100% yet, but my boat is new, only 20+ hours. However the explanation given by the dealer explains the variation that I had seen personally (pumping to 0% then having later show tank with water in it typically 10-20%).

I would have hoped the system was engineered so that the pumps would draw from a low point which would always empty completely regardless of boat position, but perhaps that is not possible or cost effective.

I assumed since the pumps were timer driven that the "full %" was based on timing. I still don't quite understand how these sensors work as I've got for example 750 bags over my rear tanks as overflow so the tank sender unit will be 100% "full" when the whole system on that side is not even 1/2 full in terms of overall capacity.

Still learning myself, but just sharing what I know / have been told thus far.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hoping for the best, expecting... well you get the point. Don't think removing the piggback bags will help, why do you think so?
Not sure, I guess if they can't fix the problem, it will leave less potential for variability in the system as removing them will change the rear tanks from 650lbs to 200lbs each. Sounds like more people than not are getting extra bags plumbed in.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Try the breaker. Was out on a 2013 supra SA450 last night and the ballast showed it was full, but they weren't. Flipped the breaker and they're golden. The ballast timers show they're full based on the time the switch is on, there isn't a float or anything to my knowledge.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
MC Devotee

Which breaker?