Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X2
Send a message via AIM to slink976
Upholstery Damage

I have a 06 X2 and I am getting some serious damage on the front Vinyl and back engine fat sack locker vinyl. It appears the damage is coming from my cover where is makes contact with the seats. I will try to add some pic's when I get back to my house today. I bought some clear vinyl - I am thinking about cutting it and putting it on top of the seat prior to putting the cover on????? maybe that will work.... I am at a loss.

Has anyone else encountered this? And if so what did you or are you doing to stop this? Is there any cure to reverse the damage? I have tried Mcquires, magic erasers, and about every other thing I could find to fix it.

On another note... Since trying everything I could find to clean the vinyl it now has become "Sticky". I don't know what caused the stickiness nor how to solve it. I have 303'ed it and still sticky.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

PS - yes I know there are a lot of threads pertaining to and I have tried many of the suggestions.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
what has happened is that the surface has been broken and the plasticiziers are coming to the surface (the cotton and the adhesive). It might be too late.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
MC Fanatic

The condition is still decent I mean it's white for the most part. Threading is starting to break in some areas I just just some UV thread from amazon was going to try to repair it myself.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Does it look anything like this:

I think agarabahi ended up putting on new skins to fix it. He made it look a whole lot better by cleaning with Malco and leaving it out in the sun.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
MC Fanatic

That is a bit worse but yes that is what it looks like. If I get new skins which are extremely expensive I want to ensure that the root problem is fixed. I believe this is from the cover.. but still not 100% on that.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Did you happen to catch which Malco product was used?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slink976 View Post
That is a bit worse but yes that is what it looks like. If I get new skins which are extremely expensive I want to ensure that the root problem is fixed. I believe this is from the cover.. but still not 100% on that.
I would never use Magic Eraser on seats for one, or "every other thing I could think of". There are definitely things to use and things to avoid when it comes to the longevity of your vinyl. Those pictures tell me those skins are done. I have never had any discoloration from my cover in 6 years, much less what I'm seeing in those pictures.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by slink976 View Post
Did you happen to catch which Malco product was used?
Looks like it was Malco leather and plastic cleaner. Here is the thread:
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...ighlight=skins

Here are the after pictures:

Old 06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
I have the same issue and nothing takes it out. The sun does clear it up pretty well, but once the cover goes on the brown returns. I have even put towels on the seat tops to protect from the cover and it doesn't help.............. seems like once its in the vinyl, its there to stay.
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Exactly the same... I hate covering her now because it looks HORRIBLE the next time I take it out. the longer it sits in the sun the more it fades but it's still apparent.

I tried a towel once too - to no avail. I have some clear vinyl (like old people couch covers I am going to custom cut it and fit it over the mooring eyes in the front. Then from the ski pole to the Mooring eyes in the back. Basically make a protective cover from the cover(sad that its needed) and the seats.