Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Throttle won't shift into gear

Put boat in for first time today and I had to literally force the throttle to get it into reverse to get off the trailer. It is very hard to shift from neutral into either forward or reverse.

If I push the neutral button in, there is no problem moving the lever in either direction, very smooth!
The issues I am having is when I am trying to put into gear, no way can it be safely operated at this point until I figure out how to fix. The boat is a 2002, 209. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 AM
MC Master Poster

With the engine off, go to the engine and look at the shift cable- is anything keeping it from moving freely? If not, release the cable from the transmission and shift it manually. If it moves freely, go back to the helm and move the throttle- I suspect the cable is corroded internally, but it's still possible that the levers on the helm are binding. You'll need to remove the cable from the helm to determine if the cable or helm is binding.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks Jim, hopefully I can get to it tonight! Unfortunately work interferes with most of my passions!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM
MC Devotee

A late thanks to Jim. Changed the shift cable and all is well. Had some advice to use steering fluid and using a compressor to force it into the cable - but it just looked like a potential mess to me. New cable was only approx. $50 from Midwest MC. My son and I got it put in easily. Rather long cable @ 24 ft. Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by peason View Post
A late thanks to Jim. Changed the shift cable and all is well. Had some advice to use steering fluid and using a compressor to force it into the cable - but it just looked like a potential mess to me. New cable was only approx. $50 from Midwest MC. My son and I got it put in easily. Rather long cable @ 24 ft. Thanks again!
Both JimN and the guys at Midwest Mastercraft are the real deal.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com