Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 06-02-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Cool X15 ski or X14V surf - talk me out of this

Ok guys, I've read all the threads on the X-15 not being much of a ski boat, and I can see that because I was just in one today and it's HUGE. However, I've also read many threads about how it's not much of a surf boat.... yet with enough ballast it gets pretty darn big, just like my X9...which also surprises most folks.

At the same time, I've seen a fair amount of negativity on this forum surrounding the X-14V (and my X9) leading me to believe that the general consensus surrounding anything crossover is "no thank you". Even my dealer says that this boat (X-14V) sold like hotcakes for the first year, now he's discounting older models just to move them and no one comes in asking for one.

So here's the dilemma, I want to ski the course in the morning (15 off 33mph) and surf all day (I can do spins, jumps, etc). So without the option of buying two boats and selling the kids, what is the lesser of the two boating evils? I mean, which is worse....skiing the X15 or surfing the smaller wave on the X14-V? My current guess is that the X14V is the right choice, since you can keep adding ballast to anything and eventually you will make a big wave, right??? Maybe?? (case in point is here on my X9 DD).

I'm just growing really tired (lazy) of filling up ballast bags manually, rearranging seats, and walking around everyone in order to go from surf, to wake, to ski, so I'm ready to give the VDrives a shot.

To add to this, I have been surfing behind my friend's Malibu VTX for the past month and it is fantastic. I know, I know...and I have owned three MCs in my past so I am somewhat loyal. However, the Malibu diamond hull on the VTX also slaloms pretty darn well for a vdrive, but the extra foot missing from the VTX (20 foot) vs. the VLX (21 foot) is clearly noticeable.

So...who wants to help me flip this coin? I'm not looking for a diatribe on Malibu versus MC, but if anyone has some good insight/experience on pure wake quality...that would be fantastic. I know that nothing beats trying these all out myself, but knowledge from the group is also appreciated.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -

Last edited by FoggyNogginz; 06-02-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X-15, Ilmor 5.7
I think the X15 is just too wide to use in a slalom course. The X15 is a fabulous boat (I own one) but for your application I would go with the X14V

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Obviously a MC guy, but I do both on a buddy's Super Air Nautique 210.34-15off with 100lbs in the bow is great. Surfing w/ factory ballast + 750 (I'd have to get back to you on how much in the locker), and you can surf either side. Love the seating arrangement to. No experience with the 14v, but don't like the seating layout as well myself.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
Gotta give credit where it is due. I once had a 07 VTX wake and would have to say it was pretty bloody good. Above 30 MPH a totally acceptable slalom boat and an excellent surf boat too. Then again a mates Nautique SV 211 is pretty good too with the hydragate. Good all rounders, the both of them. The seat layout on the x 14 is a negative for me and I think the question about the X 15 I believe you have answered yourself..
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Try the x2, skis well and with proper placed ballast surfs well.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Our neighbour has an X-15 and we have an X-14V. They are both great boats. In the spectrum of crossover boats, the X-15 is more of a wake boat, and less of a ski boat, while the X-14V is opposite. I've skied behind his boat - its fine if you want a recreational pull around the lake, but if you are a serious skier, you'll be very dissappointed.

There's a couple of threads with pictures from various X-14V owners. Yes, its a compromise. There are certainly way better ski boats, barefoot boats, wakeboats and surf boats, but the 14V is the boat we decided on to keep everyone happy because we all do different things behind the boat.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32937 (surf videos on page 7)
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45858
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40224
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Thanks for the sanity check. I agree with the statements above, and I think that the X-14V is likely the optimal MC for me to have next. Who's sellin? I would love a new X10 if I had a spare $92K laying around (quoted last week with straight face and a comment about a discount...almost died), but for that much cash a guy could do a lot. The X2 is nice, but I just don't seem to like the size of the boat. Seems a little stubby to me, but again that is just personal preference and I know a lot of folks love 'em.

Now I just have to get the VLX/VTX out of my head. I expect that the MC X14V will ski better than the larger VLX, but I have yet to see an impressive surf wake from one of the X14Vs. The posted photos that I have seen so far look like relatively small surf wakes to me, even with the add on upgrades from Midwest MC (no offense). Can anyone convince me that I can make a wave as big as my current X9DD behind the X14V? (see video above). This would make me run out and buy one asap.

Thanks once again!

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Ask yourself this

Do you see your course time decreasing and your surf time increasing? OR the opposite in the long term. That would sway my decision.

I will agree with the others tho as well as I am a huge crossover boat snob these days. Aside from a 205V.... the VTX, new 20MKZ, and Nauti 210 all kill the surf, wakeboard, ski crossover market. Really if you are looking for the perfect mix its hard to discount those mfg's. MC just doesn't have that dialed yet. Pure ski, pure wakeboard, its dialed., but crossover and pure surf still lack
Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
The more I read the threads the more I wonder why MC dropped the 205V hull. Best crossover hull they have had to date, but then again, it's all about the money.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Small threadjack with a hull question. What hull does my 98 200 VRS share with other MC's. Is it the same as the 205V hull?