Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC,197,'06,mcx
Engine quits ??? Help

Boat 06 197 w/MCX 382hrs

I was pulling kids last night and when I was pulling them up, the engine sputtered and quit. After about 30min I was able to get it started and it ran fine, but now it quits every now and then when I'm out. I seams to quit at idle. I let it sit for 30sec/1min and it starts back up and runs fine from idle to WOT. I wish something would break, so I can find it and replace it, but no luck yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 PS 197
I have same boat, engine, and year, and problem last year. Check your fuel pump wiring harness. That was my problem hope it is yours only a $25 fix.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Not to thread jack, but this got me thinking. When I replaced the plug to my fuel pump I cut the wires and spliced in the new plug. Shortly after I lost my gauges and figured it was the ECM. I am about to buy a new ECM, but want to rule out that splicing the plug did not cause the problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatwaterfooter View Post
Not to thread jack, but this got me thinking. When I replaced the plug to my fuel pump I cut the wires and spliced in the new plug. Shortly after I lost my gauges and figured it was the ECM. I am about to buy a new ECM, but want to rule out that splicing the plug did not cause the problem.
It's probably not your ECM but more likely your Medallion MMDC.

http://www.medallionis.com/Downloads/MMDCcopy150264.pdf

The part number in the pdf file is not necessarily your part number.

OP -- I would pick up a cheap, $20, fuel pressure test gauge from your local auto parts store. There is a shader valve on the fuel rail you can screw it on to. Likewise, do a search on here for fuel pumps 101 for more info.

As posted, check the connection at the top of the fuel tank.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
It's probably not your ECM but more likely your Medallion MMDC.

http://www.medallionis.com/Downloads/MMDCcopy150264.pdf

The part number in the pdf file is not necessarily your part number.

OP -- I would pick up a cheap, $20, fuel pressure test gauge from your local auto parts store. There is a shader valve on the fuel rail you can screw it on to. Likewise, do a search on here for fuel pumps 101 for more info.

As posted, check the connection at the top of the fuel tank.
Thanks Was thinking MMDC and typing something else. Thanks for the correction. So plug could not be the problem splicing is not an issue I should order my MMDC (formally know as ECM in this post)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks Was thinking MMDC and typing something else. Thanks for the correction. So plug could not be the problem splicing is not an issue I should order my MMDC (formally know as ECM in this post)
I would not think so. The pump connector goes to a ground and relay that is triggered by the ECM. If the power wire pump grounded out I do not see how it would get pasted the relay and other stuff to fry the MMDC.

But that brings up a very big safety point and If you think there is something a miss with your repair I would double check it for sure. I would think it would be best to crimp, solder and heat shrink the repair and then black tape over all of it and put that inside of some plastic wire loom tubing.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I would not think so. The pump connector goes to a ground and relay that is triggered by the ECM. If the power wire pump grounded out I do not see how it would get pasted the relay and other stuff to fry the MMDC.

But that brings up a very big safety point and If you think there is something a miss with your repair I would double check it for sure. I would think it would be best to crimp, solder and heat shrink the repair and then black tape over all of it and put that inside of some plastic wire loom tubing.
It is done with a wire splice and heat shirnked and taped over.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
It is done with a wire splice and heat shirnked and taped over.
When you say wire splice are you talking about solderless crimped butt connectors or just twisting the wires and no soldering at all or soldered wires?

In JimN's Mastercraft tech training course it was taught to use a mechanical(crimping) and a soldered joint(soldering the wires to the crimped mechanical) was the best route to go.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
When you say wire splice are you talking about solderless crimped butt connectors or just twisting the wires and no soldering at all or soldered wires?

In JimN's Mastercraft tech training course it was taught to use a mechanical(crimping) and a soldered joint(soldering the wires to the crimped mechanical) was the best route to go.
Crimped no solder
Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Crimped no solder
Then you should be good.

You may want to check great lakes skipper's website for a cheaper MMDC unit.