Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
First Time Out Mistakes

The title says it all. I have owned this boat for 12 years and NEVER had a day like this.

It starts with the fact it was the first time I had my boat out, which stinks!! I was a bit nervous as I had two friends with me and not my mutually experienced brother who helps with my check list.

So, after cruising around a bit and getting to the speed area, it starts with the boat feeling sluggish during take off. I had about 550 pounds of people in there but I felt that shouldn't matter. So as I was speeding around the new guy says; "is there supposed to be water back here?" Huh, what?? So I slow down and a line of water runs towards the front. Now, I know for a fact that I put the plug in so my fear was the petcock I added. I kicked on the pump and as I looked around the engine I realized it has to be the shut-off valves I put on the back of the water jackets. You know, to let out the water out of the jackets every fall.... These valves have hoses that empty into the bilge. Duh!! Nice job dumba$$. Add that to the Spring checklist. Got the bilge empty, checked the fluids for water and moved out.

Now, with the bilge empty and the blower fried, I'm still feeling really nervous and didn't let the experienced guy take the helm. As were cruising back out of the area to swim a bit I notice the temperature is higher than it normally is. Normal for my boat if 130ish and it was up around 200. So I go through my internal checklist and wonder if I did something wrong when doing the muffler tips, or is the new engine cover vent hole too small now with my new cup holder... So after another few minutes and a few more degrees I shut her down and start the visual inspection and decide to start with the obvious; the impeller. And what do my wondering eyes should appear, but a messed up impeller. So I pulled out the EXTRA (Thank God) and replaced in 5 minutes. Turned it on and the temperature dropped like a stone. Wow, disaster #2 averted.

Spent the remaining time at the restaurant and had a few drinks and waited for food, and waited for food, and waited.... The kitchen was a mess and we were there for hours... But I thought; "That's OK, I can get back to the ramp with all my new LED's shining".

So, as they pay the check I get the boat ready to go but turning on the blower... Ooops, no, I fried that earlier with the water problem. So I open the engine cover (for venting) and get it started. I hit the anchor lights and put in the light pole for the trip back. Now the light wont turn on and it ALWAYS worked before... The darn bulb was burnt out... WTH!!! Well, not much I can do so I flipped on all the LEDs, and headed for the ramp.

What a crazy trip but the rest was all smooth and got it home and in the garage by midnight. Oh, there was one more Mistake I forgot; one of my friends spilled his beer. Now what the heck is all that about???

I know I have read about horror stories like this and people admitting their mistakes and making fun of them, so I have added my day to the list, with the HOPE that it NEVER happens again!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Could have been much worse. You made it back with boat and everyone in one piece and not in jail. Sounds like a good trip after all.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
You waited a long time up there for your food? Sounds like nothing has changed but the name. Good to hear you made it back to the barn without anything else going wrong.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: shopping
Ha, why would anyone have gone to jail? Is that a common problem with the first trip of the summer?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I know you feel stupid, but nobody got hurt, not too expensive of a fix. You got off easy. We've all done dumb things like that.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Rookie
Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I too had a terrible day on the water yesterday. My story is classified. Not to proud of it.

I enjoyed reading through your story, reflecting on my very recent mishap, and thinking .... We are all human. Not everything goes as planned.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
On the bright side.....you likely got all of the problems for the season taken care of in one shot so you should be good to go for the season and from the sounds of it you were well prepared for everything that happened, so kudos....most people would have been towed back in. Think of it as a fire drill from back in school and you passed!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Thank you for posting your story. I am ordering my impeller today.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Well DD, not the first time out, but second I will share on my new boat.

Get to the ramp, go through the normal prep routine, plug etc. My son backs us down the ramp, go to start the boat by turning the key... Nothing, dead... Ahhh I say, must be the lanyard, pull it off, replace making sure it is not the problem, shifter in neutral, check... Turn the key, nothing still dead. The ramp is kinda busy, tell my son to pull us out as I am thinking what the heck, brand new boat with 6 hours, must have not got the batteries re-connected right as I had removed them to install my killer MHD 750 amp.

Check the batteries, nope, all is good here... Sitting at the helm totally puzzled, looked at the dash and the light comes on in my feeble brain... My boat has a START BUTTON... Jeez, what a dip S*$t. Dealer even told me I would do it too.