Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
New 2500 suburban???

So, I'm trying to decide if I should really buy a new suburban LT 2500 this weekend.

I currently have a 2010 Suburban LS 1500 4x4 with trailer package and 75,000 miles, 9 seatbelts (I have 7 people in my family and like being able to take friends in the extra seats), leather, blue tooth and DVD that I got new in 2011. When it was 4 months old it got rear ended infront of our house aand got $12k of repair to the rear including cutting off and welding on new rear lift gate frame and quarter panel, replacement of bent axle. It was in the shop for 2 months. Once it was fixed it hasn't given us a lick of problems. I tow to lake Powell with it every year (900 miles one way) and on the way the trans gets pretty hot as we go through the mountains. I use tow/haul mode, try to keep the speed down (75mph) and the trans temp <200F but there are always a few spots where it gets around 215F for a few minutes. When towing locally I have zero issues.

Last month we had a tornado roll through and put $7000 of damage on the suburban while we were in church (see the blessings you get while attending church). Needs new hood, roof, passenger front and rear quarter panels, PDR to doors, lift gate and left front quarter panel, and hub caps. The only thing original on the body will be the drivers front quarter panel. I don't like the thought of my truck being cut up and put back together. Things don't ever seem to line up exactly right, and eventually everything starts to rattle and squeek. I think this is a good time to pocket the insurance money and trade the truck in for a new one.

I don't like losing a seatbelt, but you can't get all the bells and whistles and seatbelts. (What, do the people who need to move a lot of people not like nice things?) I need 4x4 because we are traveling across country in the winter months every year, and as anyone who has been off the pavement in OK knows, if the red dirt here isn't dry, it is slick as snot. My wife has gotten stuck while dropping the kids at school on more than one occation and had to use 4wd to get out. I think the 6.0 combined with the heavy duty trans and cooler on the 2500 will stand the test of time for my long pulls across the Continental Divide.

So I'm worried that the 1500 isn't beefy enough to haul over the mountains year after year without cooking the transmition. I'm pulling a tandom axle trailer with a 97 PS205 loaded up with enough gear for a week at Lake Powell. I haven't weighed us yet, but I'm guessing boat and trailer are coming in around 7000lbs. Suburban is squating a fair bit with the load, because it is packed to the hilt too. I don't think I've exceded the total combined gross wt, but I don't think the thing was actually ment to pull the max wt for prolonged times. I would probably just get another 1500 if I wan't afraid it was undersized for the task. It gets much better gas milage than the 2500 does.

Am I up in the night, or should I pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind waiting for the '14s, but they are a complete redesing, and I am always leary of the first model yr of a new design. I have the insurance money, and I am stuck either fixing it or paying off the truck since I owe the bank still. I have been offered more than my pay off by the dealer, so I can pocket the insurance money if I upgrade now. I think the whole thing hinges on if I'm gonna kill the truck early by the way I'm using it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-30-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: interupted mid post.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
wait for a 2014. engine specs on the new 5.3 look much better.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Agreed. The 2015's are slated for early 2014.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
wait for a 2014. engine specs on the new 5.3 look much better.
I can't get one soon enough. Even if I put and order in today, I wouldn't take delivery until the end of July at the soonest. My powell trip at the start of July and I'd like to have this sorted before then.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Order it and rent a vehicle. Although finding something with the seating and a trailer hitch could be an issue, but worth looking into.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
You could alway keep yours and just add an external trans cooler and rear air ride suspension. Neither of which will break the bank or are hard to install and will probably add years to vehicle life. Thats what I would do since you are unsure of what to do now and can't get a new one in time. Just keep what you got until your sure of what to get.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
One word....duramax
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
One word....duramax
+1

Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I've had an '07 Denali 6.2 liter and it was a good tow vehicle (better than my 2000 Suburban 2500 6.0 liter)
With that said, my F-150 Eco-boost is the best tow vehicle I've had yet. I believe there is talk that Ford may use that engine in a new Expedition. You may want to check into that. You really should test drive a new Eco-boost.....they are impressive. I've always been a GM guy....my last Ford was a 1988 Bronco!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I've had an '07 Denali 6.2 liter and it was a good tow vehicle (better than my 2000 Suburban 2500 6.0 liter)
With that said, my F-150 Eco-boost is the best tow vehicle I've had yet. I believe there is talk that Ford may use that engine in a new Expedition. You may want to check into that. You really should test drive a new Eco-boost.....they are impressive. I've always been a GM guy....my last Ford was a 1988 Bronco!
I'm waiting for a new Expedition with the new engine. (I just need my wife to shut up about not wanting to wait).

Any idea when that will be coming out?