Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
New Clarion 6.5 Opinions

I am currently running a pair of Clarion coaxial 6.5s with separate tweeters on my tower. I have the same speakers throughout the cabin. When one of my tower speakers started having issues, I swapped it with one from the cabin. Now it's time to get the tower speakers replaced and everything back in the cabin as it should be. I have done a ton of research on different tower setups and think that the best option for me will be to run Clarions again. I am pleased with the way the setup sounds currently and don't see a need for any drastic changes. The tower speakers are amply supplied with power and I don't want to mess with redrilling the pods for a different speaker. So finally the question. Clarion has the CMG1622S that comes with the separate tweeters. They look similar to what I have now(newer model though). They also have the CMQ1622R that is the same speaker power wise, but no separate tweeters. I really like the look of the CMQ1622R for the tower, but don't know what to do about the tweeter issue. Any and all help would be appreciated. That means you David...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
David can provide the most thorough answer but my experience was the sound difference between the stock clarions and the replacement speakers i put in (polk db651s in my case) was huge! Couldnt believe how much better the polks sounded!

Also probably would be good to know how they are powered today. Are they running off the head unit (the in cabins) w/ amp on the tower or something else? What amp? Etc...
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 AM
MC Fanatic

The towers are currently run off a class d amp. Not sure of the specs off hand. I think it's safe to say I have about 150w peak per channel going off memory. The boat has been winterized for two years.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Bump for some help. Still would like to know if retaining the tweeters on the tower is critical for me. Most of our listening is done tied up in the cove and surfing. Throwing 80' back isn't crucial for me. As stated, the setup I have right now sounds just fine to me, just looking for some newer speakers.