Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft 190 1987 351 Indmar
Rudder question?

I hit my drive line with an under water log and wiped out the drive shaft, prop and bracket and my rudder looks ok visually but when I move it side ways it seems to have a little too much motion. Side to side or wobble in the mount should be how much? I'm guessing mine has .030 plus movement. Boat has 675 hours on it and for an 87 thats not a great number of hours so I wonder if the hit has made an add'l issue for me.??? Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
There is a packing/gland nut on most rudder boxes, should lock down some of that motion.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Have you ever checked yours to see how much motion is in it?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
There is a packing/gland nut on most rudder boxes, should lock down some of that motion.
I've never seen a packing gland nut on a rudder. It's normally just two rubber seals on the older models or a big seal on the top of the newer ones and then the tiller arm on top of that.

You may want to pull the rudder and check it with a straight edge. Look for cracking the gel coat around the rudder housing. If nothing looks out of wack I would just repack the rudder with grease and make sure the tiller arm is tight.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I've never seen a packing gland nut on a rudder. It's normally just two rubber seals on the older models or a big seal on the top of the newer ones and then the tiller arm on top of that.

You may want to pull the rudder and check it with a straight edge. Look for cracking the gel coat around the rudder housing. If nothing looks out of wack I would just repack the rudder with grease and make sure the tiller arm is tight.
Visually it looks ok it was just the loss motion that I was concerned about. I had never checked it before it might have been there all a long and I just didn't realize it. I had no leaks or water coming in the floor of the boat so I never checked it.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Don View Post
Visually it looks ok it was just the loss motion that I was concerned about. I had never checked it before it might have been there all a long and I just didn't realize it. I had no leaks or water coming in the floor of the boat so I never checked it.
My rudder moves around too. I made a quick video just now. It may take a couple of minutes to process but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Kv2-I_FFM

I've never hit anything with it and I grease it each year. I still need to get that done this year so this might motivate me to get that done.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Plus 1- mine has some slight play as well.

Quote:
My rudder moves around too. I made a quick video just now. It may take a couple of minutes to process but here you go.

I've never hit anything with it and I grease it each year. I still need to get that done this year so this might motivate me to get that done.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:

That's about the same amount I have in mine so it maybe just fine. Thanks for the video--had I not hit it I wouldn't have thought about it. This is what makes this forum so good
Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well thanks to the log I hit my rudder is bad--that means everything under there is bad. Anyone know why I shouldn't use Discount Marine instead of mastercraft parts to fix this boat??
Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Don View Post
Well thanks to the log I hit my rudder is bad--that means everything under there is bad. Anyone know why I shouldn't use Discount Marine instead of mastercraft parts to fix this boat??
Doesn't OJ props sell rudders and rudder ports?

Does your insurance cover underwater hits? I clobbered my gear back in the 80's on my Ski Eliminator and Insurance covered everything.