Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
06 X1 drive shaft rattle

Hello,

I have a 2006 X1 with about 230 hours on it. I have heard a distinct rattle coming from the engine bay when i put the boat in drive in both forward and reverse directions. It happens every time in reverse and hit or miss in forward. Also it only does this only at the lowest driving speed, as soon as i give it any throttle or go into nuetral the noise goes away. The prop looks brand new, i was hoping for any advice on where/what to look for that may be causing this. I would suspect that the sleeve in the casting by the prop is a wearable item and occasionally needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a link or instructions on how to replace this sleeve? Does it require and special tools? How often does this go out?

For now its driveable its just a frustrating..

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Sounds more like an issue with the damper plate..
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Is your tranny filled with trans fluid or motor oil? Some rattling is normal and it's louder when trans fluid is used.

Worn out cutless bearings don't really make a rattling noise. You can check those just by trying to move the prop shaft around while under the boat. If worn badly enough I'm sure they might cause a vibration while underway.