Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC 2002 X30
The evolution cover said no poles, that would be nice to not worry about poles. Anyone have a cover from them
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
The evolution cover said no poles, that would be nice to not worry about poles. Anyone have a cover from them
Sorry, I never used one of their covers, but I have had a couple of covers that did not use poles. While they are simpler to put on and look a little nicer they are much more likely to pool water. If that happens often, the cover will stretch and it will continue to pool water even in a light rain. The extra time it takes to put the poles under the cover is well worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggle2 View Post
I'm in need of a good quality cover asap. Hoping for a reasonably priced one, but with the work I've put in cleaning the seats, quality is my number 1.

02 X Star.

Thanks!
I have a masercraft cover that is barely used. It is high quality and I'll let it go for a good price. I used it as a second cover for my last boat, which I sold. It was a 2002 Xstar as well.

It is a tan color and I believe it says "Mastercraft" across the windsheild

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2002
Thanks all for the suggestions! It appears skiboatcovers.com and sunbrella material is what I should be looking at. Should be much better than the one I bought off Ebay a couple years ago.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
That looks great. Who did the work?

Wyoming Canvas

http://www.wyomingcanvas.com/

in Wyoming, MN
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunra View Post
I have a masercraft cover that is barely used. It is high quality and I'll let it go for a good price. I used it as a second cover for my last boat, which I sold. It was a 2002 Xstar as well.

It is a tan color and I believe it says "Mastercraft" across the windsheild

Let me know if you are interested.
I am interested thank you. I sent you a message.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
My new cover from skiboatcovers.com just arrived today. Looks great, but one small problem, they forgot to ship the support poles. A quick call got a sincere apology and the poles should arrive Friday.
I will try to get a picture of the cover on the boat this weekend.
That reminds me. With Evolution or Coversports, no poles required. Drum tight.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
See post above. There are velcro hooks that clip under the rubrail all the way around. The hooks in the rear can have tension put on them so they draw the cover tight front to back. The drawstring is tightened with a turnbuckle in the rear. Result is a drum tight cover you can use at freeway speeds that will not mar your gel coat. No tent poles required. I have pulled my boat through a virtual monsoon with my cover on and it got home intact, no worse for the wear, and the boat interior was bone dry.

They are not cheap. But they are worth it in my opinion.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
Sorry, I never used one of their covers, but I have had a couple of covers that did not use poles. While they are simpler to put on and look a little nicer they are much more likely to pool water. If that happens often, the cover will stretch and it will continue to pool water even in a light rain. The extra time it takes to put the poles under the cover is well worth it in my opinion.
Sorry for the multiple replies. I see that the OP has gone with skiboatcovers.com. I'm sure he will be happy. Quality product.

For future searches on this topic, I'll hit this point briefly. Not sure about evolution, but a coversports cover's hooks attach to the cover with some serious velcro. As the cover ages and stretches, you can adjust the attachment point by pulling the hook loose and putting it a little closer in. I have had mine for several years and have never had to adjust it. It is truly no tent poles required.

Evolution and Coversports are owned by former Rankin employees, who each set out to build a better cover than Rankin did. Rankin is no longer around, but they truly revolutionized (pardon the phrase) the trailerable ski boat cover. They both make quality products. For a time, they kind of split up the Malibu/Correct Craft market (evolution took Malibu, Coversports took Correct Craft. Either would work with a MC owner to produce a top notch product.

/Not a paid spokesman. Just a stoked owner of the coversports cover for the past five or so years.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I've always wanted them to grommet in a drain somewhere behind the engine compartment.

I'd take that with a tube down into the engine hatch and never worry about things getting loose while out of town.