Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
'07 MC X-15 - What's it worth?

A friend of mine stumbled upon a deal that I believe is almost too good to be true. In order to test that theory I'm hoping my fellow TT'ers will shoot holes in the value. Here's the skinny:

Model: 2007 MC X-15

Hours: 168

Options: heater, 4 tower speakers, subwoofer...maxed out for the most part. Does not come with a trailer.

Notes: assuming it runs, which will be tested this weekend, the boat will need a lot of TLC. After reviewing the boat myself I believe it will need a full detail to remove oxidation, scuffs and a touch of fiberglass work to fix a few gashes. It could stand to have a new bimini and rub rail installed and from the looks of it, a new swim platform would be nice.

Pictures: you can't see a lot of the issues in these pictures but I wanted to attach in case they help with the valuation.

I would also appreciate any peculiarities of this model (or the engine) if there are any.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
my opinion is 45K on the low side and up to 55K on the top side but that would include a trailer. so a bit less to leave cash for trailer. If the deal is too good to be true - the sirens should be going off... or you're luck...IMO

oxidation - rainy day maintenance.. bimini - just the fabirc? Fiberglass work or just gel coat? If fibre glass that would be a concern for me.

Have a marine inspection... make the owner a deal - have him pay for the inspection and then if the inspection is good - you pay for inspection along with buying boat.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
I was looking pretty hard for a used X15 over the winter...the cosmetic stuff can be fixed/cleaned up. The only drawback I see to that boat is the RTP engine, but definitely not a deal killer if the boat is propped right. Since it doesn't have a trailer, I would bet that could be picked up for somewhere in the low to mid 40's.

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
my opinion is 45K on the low side and up to 55K on the top side but that would include a trailer. so a bit less to leave cash for trailer. If the deal is too good to be true - the sirens should be going off... or you're luck...IMO

oxidation - rainy day maintenance.. bimini - just the fabirc? Fiberglass work or just gel coat? If fibre glass that would be a concern for me.

Have a marine inspection... make the owner a deal - have him pay for the inspection and then if the inspection is good - you pay for inspection along with buying boat.
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. The sirens went off for me when my friend called and disclosed the asking price. I met him at lunch yesterday to see for myself and I advised him to follow almost the same path you laid out. He's going to have our local MC dealer conduct a full inspection this week.

I'm not pretending that this boat hasn't been rode hard and put up wet. There are marks all over it from hard docking to who knows what else. The hull and keel looked really good but the sides are marked up really bad. I found two 1" gashes in the fiberglass exposing raw glass. They're above the rub rail which leads me to believe that either something was dropped on the boat or they hit a dock pretty hard.

The other comforting factor is that the seller is a trusted friend and the only owner of the boat. That's the only reason I agreed to give the green light on the purchase if everything checks out mechanically and structurally.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolen View Post
I was looking pretty hard for a used X15 over the winter...the cosmetic stuff can be fixed/cleaned up. The only drawback I see to that boat is the RTP engine, but definitely not a deal killer if the boat is propped right. Since it doesn't have a trailer, I would bet that could be picked up for somewhere in the low to mid 40's.
Can you provide more info on the RTP engine? I'm not an MC historian so any quirks or drawbacks of that motor would be very helpful.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
Can you provide more info on the RTP engine? I'm not an MC historian so any quirks or drawbacks of that motor would be very helpful.
It's the base engine, I think it's only 310HP versus the MCX that is considered to be the bulletproof norm for most boats...I think it's 330HP. The RTP is a great motor, but if the boat is going to be loaded down with a bunch of ballast, bigger engine might be wanted. If the price is right, your buddy will love that boat!! Hope that helps.

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
here we go again... RTP vs MCX debate...
RTP is probably fine if you're doing recreational stuff, but if you're going to load her up with a bunch of ballast or foot, may want to pass in favor of an MCX. both engines are deemed very reliable.

boat is in pretty poor shape. 42.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback guys. Even the low estimates in this thread will still make the asking price a steal.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 x2
txmc has 07 less hours 44k in what look like better condition and the mcx.upper 30's to 40 id say.plus their a dealer they are in the business of making money they didn't pay 44k for it.

http://www.texasmastercraft.com/vehi...lersite#ar_top
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
that yellow 07 at tx mc is trashed... probably sat in the water the whole time. with 2k of ballast in my 15 with the mcx i struggle.. rtp would be plenty for stock ballast.