Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-25 6.0 Pro Package
This 25 is my second Mastercraft, and both boats have had fuel gauge problems. The 2012 35 was always off by 1/2 to 1/4 of a tank and the gauge on the 2013 25 does not work at all. I know the sending unit on the new boat is probably bad or a wire on one of the plugs pulled out , but I don't want to take it to dealer until my 20 hour service. I had a hurricane deck boat that had both an electric gauge and a simple manual float gauge on top of the tank. How hard would it be to install a simple manual float gauge on this new boat so incase after I have the electrical gauge fixed it malfunctions again? I would mark the tank, but I cant see the fuel through the tank walls. Has anyone put a manual float gauge on their tanks? Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0 L
I could not find after about 30 minutes so I went to the dealer. About $110. yes, a little disappointing
Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 AM
TT Regular

Sounds reasonable but I live on a ski lake where we fill with 5 gallons cans. And I share the boat with a neighbor. So just filling is not a good option for me. Before I started sharing it wasn't a big problem. Maybe you are out of 5 gallon cans and want to ski 2 quick sets. Do I have enough or do I need to go buy gas? The gauge reading correctly is a better answer for everyone.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM
TT Regular

I had no idea those were adjusting screws. Mine has two hex head bolts which look structural. I'll give it a shot. thanks.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 Mastercraft Prostar 205 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-Dog View Post
I adjsuted mine last year using the calibration instructions...and it's worked great ever since.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/3wire.htm
I agree with Dog, One screw will adjust the full side of the reading. Not sure how it would get out of wack, but worth a try.

Also for you guys looking for a sending unit, I have a used one from my 99 Prostar 205V. I changed it last year then found out it was actually my gauge. PM me if you are interested in buying one used.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM
TT Regular

I looked at my picture on my old sending unit. It had screws and I did remember it saying empty and full. However, I pulled my panel to get access to the tank to adjust the new unit ( I was going to calibrate it with a tall glass of gasoline. ) My new unit does not have adjusting screws. So far this unit seems to be much more correct than the original. I have put 15 gallons in and it is not even 3/4 tank yet. My original would have said just under full.

As far as the aditional gauge. These are my thoughts. It would probably be easy to put in a mechanical gauge. But it would be a lot of work if you want to keep both. One, there is not an extra slot in the tank. You would probably have to cut a hole and your are not going to want the debris in the tank. You would also have to run new wires.
If you could find a place to mount a mechanical gauge, (I doubt a 2013 has a 2-1/2" hole available as they are going to screens these days) you could easily use the slot and the wiring if you are willing to give up the other gauge.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 Mastercraft Prostar 205 VRS
I wouldn't go mechanical. Sounds like a pain, also there has to be a solution to your problem. The replacement senders are calibrated with magnets. Here is a link on how do it. It looks like the guy had the same issue as you, but never posted if it fixed his issue...Which usually means it fixed it.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...er+calibration
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
FWIW. I called Centoid products last Friday and gave them the model number from the unit in my boat. I got the new one Yesterday (Wed.) for $64.

Tags
gauges