Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-29-2013, 03:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
I am no engine expert by any means.... I have owned several inboards and I have never had one boat lose any amount of oil.... If your boat is losing 4-5 quarts per 7-8 hours of use there is something really wrong! If I am understanding you correctly (assuming your 351 holds approximately 5-5.5 quarts) then your losing just about ALL of your oil in 7-8 hours of use? I would take it back to the mechanic who rebuilt it....

Hook Em' Horns
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 190 prostar
I agree with bronco take it back if you can. If you can't then my best guess is a blown head gasket first choice and next would be piston rings next, although both should have some smoke involved with these types of problems. It doesn't look like they did anything with the pistons and rings.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxwilson View Post
Ok the list of what they did for the rebuild. New bearings, seals, gaskets, water pump, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve stem seals, impeller, and thermostat.
Could a valve stem seal that came loose or popped out cause the problems I have been experiencing?
Don't see anything here about pistons, rings, bore/Hone? Did they not do these or did you inadvertently leave them off the list?

If your list is correct, I can't see why they skimped on this critical part of the rebuild. Heck, even if the piston clearance and bores were good, you always break the glaze and install new rings even if cutting corners. If they didn't do this, the rebuilder would be suspect in my mind and not sure what other corners were cut.

If rings were replaced, could also be broken oil ring or incorrectly installed oil rings. Maybe they forgot to break the glaze on the cylinder walls which will prevent the rings from seating. Normally though to burn that much oil, you have a good amount of smoke accompanying it...

As others have said- compression and leak down test are the first order of business to determine what is really going on.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
The heads do not need to be torqued again and neither does the intake.

1. Replace the PCV valve with a NEW one and run the engine in your driveway on a hose. Watch the exhaust and verify any oil slick that appears on your driveway. Bring up the rpm over idle and run it for a few seconds at a time and see if you get consumption.

2. Do a compression check. Verify that all plugs look the same or if you have a bad plug or oily plug.

3. The rings and cylinder walls seem to have the factory bore. You do Not have a NEW engine you have one that is Half Ars. You always always always bore and put in new pistons or rings in the block when you go down as far he did. He tried to save $1,000 and it failed. It is very possible that with the marine cam and the new heads that the compression is more than the old ford truck worn out bottom end can take and you have blow by. Very dumb move for a "Mechanic". You also have an oil rings and compression rings. They can be installed incorrectly. Every ring needs to be off center and never align to another ring. If you have seams that are in the same spot then the rings were installed incorrectly and you will consume oil. A REAL mechanic would have known this as well.

4. The amount of oil that the engine is loosing is entirely way too much. You have a problem.

5. Do you have access to a way to remove the engine from the boat.

6. What heads do you have on it? This will be a good time to put some gt40 or gt40p heads on it if you have the low output heads.

Engine removal if you do it, tear down to a short block (No heads, oil pan, oil pump) and drop it off at a machine shop for a bore, and re ring, will cost $1,000. I would verify the heads and see if they had been resurfaced and valve job (~250). I have rebuilt several 351W and they total out the door cost will push $2500 (block re ring, bore, bearings, crank resurface, balanced, cam, new heads, intake, head bolts) the only things re used at that price would be carb, ignition, distributor, oil pan, and oil pan bolts, intake bolts.

Please post a picture of the engine. Is the PCV valve vacuum being pulled from the intake or is it being pulled from some other source. If it is under the carb on the spacer as it is supposed to then don't worry about the pic.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Ski Brendella, Super Comp, 1991, 351 Windsor
Here are some pics. I am new to forum so it is only letting me load one at a time.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Next1
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2013, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Next2
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM