Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
When you say "new" engine...
What exactly do you mean. Long block, short block, rebuilt by buddy with no exact list of what was and wasn't done??? The idea of a "new" engine always scares me, because people use the words so loosely.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Ski Brendella, Super Comp, 1991, 351 Windsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Is your exhaust hoses oily?

Oil is only in the water passages?

Was the boat smoking?
Boat was beginning to get smoke from the exhaust not the engine bay. that's what lead me to check the oil, when I got her filled back up the smoke stopped and I noticed a small increase in performance, it wasn't really noticeable ( performance loss) until I refilled the oil and got full performance back.
I just went out and put my hands in the exhaust flaps on the back of the boat and it didn't feel extra greasy. Although I did not have much of a reference to how it felt before the excessive oil use.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Sorry on being vague. It was a rebuild. The original engine had a cracked block so they got a used truck engine and rebuilt it. The used the correct marine cam. New marine carb new exhaust manifolds. I will get a longer list of what was done exactly. I have to return his trailer plate and pick up some loose ends like cheap skis and some extra vests he has that he threw in the deal.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Is there a pcv valve installed? If not that can cause excessive blowby of oil out the exhaust. If all components are installed correctly and working properly, I would perform a leakdown test, that checks piston rings, valves, combustion chamber leak etc., and a compression test.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxwilson View Post
Sorry on being vague. It was a rebuild. The original engine had a cracked block so they got a used truck engine and rebuilt it. The used the correct marine cam. New marine carb new exhaust manifolds. I will get a longer list of what was done exactly. I have to return his trailer plate and pick up some loose ends like cheap skis and some extra vests he has that he threw in the deal.
I once acquired a mustang that had a "rebuilt" small block engine it did what your explaining, ran great fora few hours then started using oil and smoking, turned out when they over hand honed the cylinder walls and had the improper piston ring gaps. I had to have the block bored, new pistons and new rings, ran great afterwards with no oil consumption.

Btw, iirc indmar marine says oil consumption of 1 qt of oil every 10 hrs is acceptable but not to exceed this.

My 351w that is in my mc uses 0 oil and has 370 hrs on original short block.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

How much did that run you for your stang? I fear that my desire for this type of boat the lack of availability in my region and my neglect of caution may have bit me in the "Richard" again. Well I had planned on selling my old project (1980 Porsche 930) when I bought this floating vessel. Looks like that may no longer be a option but a means to pay to fix the boat. You know anyone that wants a 500+HP Porsche....
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 AM
MC Maniac

It's been a few years but as I remember, Machine shop was ~250 and pistons and rings were another ~450 plus another gasket kit and I installed everything myself.

Before you condemn the engine do the leakdown and compression tests they will give you loads of info if you do have an internal issue with this engine.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Ok the list of what they did for the rebuild. New bearings, seals, gaskets, water pump, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve stem seals, impeller, and thermostat.
Could a valve stem seal that came loose or popped out cause the problems I have been experiencing?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxwilson View Post
Ok the list of what they did for the rebuild. New bearings, seals, gaskets, water pump, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve stem seals, impeller, and thermostat.
Could a valve stem seal that came loose or popped out cause the problems I have been experiencing?
If that were the case, you would find one really black spark plug.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

I really appreciate everyone's input. This is all very helpful.