Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Ski Brendella, Super Comp, 1991, 351 Windsor
!Help!15 hrs on new 351 and loosing Excessive oil

I have just recently purchased my boat. It came with a brand new 351 Windsor. I checked the compression and had it professionally checked out at a shop before I bought it. I took it out the first few times ran great and didn't use any oil. I ran it for a full day for the first time on Monday and was blowing through oil like crazy.
Nothing changed performance wise, still ran great. Has good oil pressure when it has the correct amount of oil.
I also noticed some darker colored water in the lake water cooling the engine when I drained it at the end of the day.
Being such a new engine do you think I need to Re-torque some bolts on the engine now that I have a oil change and about 2, 4 hour trips and one 7 hour trip to the lake. Totaling 15 hrs on the new engine?
I love the boat. Slalom skiing behind it is a dream. Never been pulled out of the water as fast and as easily as this boat can.
Thank you in advance on the advice and help!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Did you visually check the engine for oil leak residue, or was it blowing oil out the exhaust. I would imagine if its consuming or leaking large amounts of oil it should be easily detected. Engine component bolts should not need to be retightened if installed correctly the first time.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
As said once torqued these engines aren't the type that need frequent retorquing - it isn't a BMW motorcycle....

Routes for oil to get into the cooling water would primarily be head gasket - in a car you'd see oily residues in the antifreeze - since it is a boat you probably don't have a closed loop, although some do.

Recheck compression that should verify if the rings are blowing by, and a head gasket issue would show on a leak down compression test.

Please define "blowing through oil like crazy" quart an hour? quart a day?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Engine is flawlessly clean no visible oil leaks. I never noticed a oil patch behind me but then again I wasn't watching for it at the time. When I opened the water release valves on the engine after I pulled it out I thought I noticed a color in the water that came from the 5 water release valves for winterizing it. ( I winterize the boat after every use because it can still freeze any night randomly throughout the year in montana) I Do not recollect seeing the darker water after of either of the last 2 trips out with this boat. It had a semi clear dark look to a small portion of what came out when I opened the valves.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
As said once torqued these engines aren't the type that need frequent retorquing - it isn't a BMW motorcycle....

Routes for oil to get into the cooling water would primarily be head gasket - in a car you'd see oily residues in the antifreeze - since it is a boat you probably don't have a closed loop, although some do.

Recheck compression that should verify if the rings are blowing by, and a head gasket issue would show on a leak down compression test.

It used 4-5 quarts through 7-8 hrs 5 of which were slalom skiing or slalom skiing speeds.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
that's a lot of oil...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post

The previous owners best friend ( the mechanic who built it) went along on the preliminary trip to the lake. He had mentioned that if i buy the boat that I would need to tighten the head gasket bolts after some use because he recommended doing that after it was broken in. It is NOT a closed loop it uses lake water as coolant.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Please excuse my ignorance. I know a little about engines pretty much just the basic stuff. But I am good at fixing things once I have identified the problem. Combustion mechanics is not my specialty.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxwilson View Post
It used 4-5 quarts through 7-8 hrs 5 of which were slalom skiing or slalom skiing speeds.
Is your exhaust hoses oily?

Oil is only in the water passages?

Was the boat smoking?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxwilson View Post
The previous owners best friend ( the mechanic who built it) went along on the preliminary trip to the lake. He had mentioned that if i buy the boat that I would need to tighten the head gasket bolts after some use because he recommended doing that after it was broken in. It is NOT a closed loop it uses lake water as coolant.
Is an idiot the head bolts do NOT need to be retorqued.