Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 03-26-2017, 03:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Endoscopy of trailer

Since I already had the actuator out of the tongue of the Mastercraft trailer mated at the factory to my 94 PS 190, I decided to take a look inside the trailer frame partly for grins and partly because I was curious if the kind of rust I saw inside the tongue went further back. I used my cell phone camera in the tongue and then my USB camera, metal fish tape, and laptop further back to look inside the trailer frame from the tongue down the left side of the trailer to the point near the left wheel where the brake line emerges from the frame.

I had already seen rust on the inside surface of the center member where I saw what looked to be a pile of flaked off rust a couple of feet behind the rear of the tongue (after I removed an abandoned wasp nest that I don't think was original equipment).

I'm guessing that rusting inside like I'm seeing is typical no matter how spiffy we make our old trailers look on the outside. It seems to me this inside surface rust and surface pitting is probably normal and not a big deal. Doesn't seem like a significant structural issue to me. Agree? Disagree?

Only minor rust in photo of exterior of left side of trailer frame showing most of trailer frame shown from inside in following photos. Interior photos following are taken from zero to thirteen feet from front of tongue.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2017, 03:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Pile of material in center member of frame about two feet behind the rear of the tongue. Viewed from two different angles.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2017, 03:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
It's very cool that you can do endoscopy like this. Most of the pics look good, all surface rusting, to be expected.

The pile of rust flakes in the last two pics raises questions. It makes sense that there would be more rusting in the dependent section of the cross member. One quick way to check integrity is to tap the bottom of the crossmember with a wrench, see if it sounds solid (a bright "clang") or compromised (a dull thud). You may be talking to a welder to reinforce/replace the cross member.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
It's very cool that you can do endoscopy like this. Most of the pics look good, all surface rusting, to be expected.

The pile of rust flakes in the last two pics raises questions. It makes sense that there would be more rusting in the dependent section of the cross member. One quick way to check integrity is to tap the bottom of the crossmember with a wrench, see if it sounds solid (a bright "clang") or compromised (a dull thud). You may be talking to a welder to reinforce/replace the cross member.
And at a cool price. Just thirty bucks for a Chinese-made 7 meter camera on Amazon and $13 for a 25 foot Klein metal fish tape to snake it. Sufficient for my DIY needs without paying hundreds or thousands for a dedicated, standalone inspection camera.

To be clear, I discovered that pile of apparent rust flake inside a member on the trailer centerline where I'm pointing. Given the access opening on the bottom of the tongue just aft of the actuator, I'm thinking some of this stuff may have blown during towing from origination points forward of where I found it, which would account for the concentration.

I'll have to "look around" the trailer some this week with a hammer.
Attached Images

Last edited by lake weir skier; 03-27-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
I discovered that pile of apparent rust flake inside a member on the trailer centerline
OK; I misunderstood the location.

FWIW, when I put the swing tongue on my '92 trailer last fall, I found that it also had a big pile of rust flakes identical to what you are picturing.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Can you post a link to the camera you bought? I have a couple projects that would make easier.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_ski View Post
Can you post a link to the camera you bought? I have a couple projects that would make easier.
I bought my DB Power USB camera in 2014 to investigate unauthorized squirrel activity in my attic. According to the Amazon listing below, it's no longer available from them. It appears their biggest seller right now is a 5 meter version of it (2 meters shorter). You can also look through their other biggest sellers in the category. Main variables were camera pixel count, cable length, camera diameter (I've put it through a spark plug hole on my 350 TBI), lighting (typically LEDs controlled by wheel at USB connection to computer), reliability, water resistance, and price. I looked for something with a large volume of positive reviews.

Since at these low prices they typically have lines too flexible to push, I attach it with tape or zip ties to a metal fish tape.

I drive it with software called SmartCamera by NovoTech. Don't recall if it came with the camera (probably did) or I downloaded it from the net. I know I didn't have to pay anyone for it beyond the camera price.

7 meter camera that I bought

5 meter camera

Endospcopes on Amazon

25 foot fish tape that I bought

Last edited by lake weir skier; 03-27-2017 at 02:52 PM.