Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Prop stike vibration

Hey all,

I have a 96 prostar 190 that I've had since new. Lake level dropped and my driver got a bit close to the island and hit something at about 29mph. The damage didn't seem to severe to the prop so I sent it in to have rebuilt. They did have to weld some material to the blades but seem confident that I would be fine. It came back nice and shiny but there seemed to be still many imperfections that I could see by eye. Once installed out we go, and from the first time I put the throttle down I could feel that the boat didn't move out like normal. Also a bit of vibration that was never there before. Tried to ski a couple of sets perfect pass was off between 80 and 180 rpm. For those with experience in this matter how easy is it to bend a shaft? If the shaft was bent would I also loose performance or would it be just a vibration? Is it common for the alignment to change with a prop strike?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Nautique 210 2011 PCM EX343
If you hit something at 29mph, there could very well be damage to the shaft, but even though the prop was rebuilt, it could still have issues. I badly damaged a prop one time and took it to a long time very reputable prop repair business. After three tries, they finally gave me a new prop since they could never get it right.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I'd buy a new one and keep that one as a spare, especially if you can see imperfections.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Before buying, at a minimum clamp a bit of bar to the strut and check for wobble that would indicate the shaft is bent. Better would be a dial indicator, but you can at least verify if the prop is running true.

A bit of prop damage doesn't throw near as much vibration as a shaft bend.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I am going through this same thing on my boat. I bought this boat at the end of last season. It had 2 of the 4 blades bent slightly, it appeared minor. I also had a vibration. Sent out the prop for repair, got it back still had a vibration. Decided to change out cutlass bearings in the strut. When I pulled the prop shaft out I was turning it with a strap wrench to wiggle it through the strut. I then noticed that it was slightly bent from the strut to the end of the threads on the shaft.

It might be a place to look. Currently I have a machinest looking at it to see if it can be straightened.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:55 AM
TT Newbie

I'm gonna take the prop off my friends boat just to see what's what. If the shaft is bent you can't see it at all by eye. It must be very slight. Is there any company that straightens these things? Thanks for all the replys..
Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboyny View Post
I'm gonna take the prop off my friends boat just to see what's what. If the shaft is bent you can't see it at all by eye. It must be very slight. Is there any company that straightens these things? Thanks for all the replys..
IMO - not worth straightening... get a new one...
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
The stock runout tolerance on a propshaft is pretty tight, somewhere in the 0.003"-0.004" range. Mine was out about 0.015" recently and I had a hard time eyeballing the problem on the boat; rolling it on a granite table it was clear as day.

If the damage is not enough to be visible I would try and get it straightened before you pony up for a new one.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM
TT Newbie

Put another prop on the boat from a friends. mine was 13x13 his 13x12 nice and smooth thank god! Just a bad rebuild on my prop. Giving them one more shot then it's new prop time!