Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Apple - 15-inch Macbook Pro
PC - Lenovo T Series

Cheap laptops are just that. Either the T-Series Lenovo or the Apple products will give you years of use without hardware issues.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Sort of a thread hijack.

Does anybody (other than me) still use a desktop computer at home?
I am spoiled with my 24 in led screen at work and have the same at home. I would hate to drop in screen size from 24 to 15 or 17. Yes I know you can connect a moniter to a laptop. Also if you accidentally dump a drink into a keyboard, no big deal. Maybe a $10 keyboard replacement. However if you do the same to a laptop you are screwed.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
Sort of a thread hijack.

Does anybody (other than me) still use a desktop computer at home?
I am spoiled with my 24 in led screen at work and have the same at home. I would hate to drop in screen size from 24 to 15 or 17. Yes I know you can connect a moniter to a laptop. Also if you accidentally dump a drink into a keyboard, no big deal. Maybe a $10 keyboard replacement. However if you do the same to a laptop you are screwed.
If you run a powerful enough laptop, you can have your cake and eat it too :

To the OP, I unequivocally recommend Apple products. If you are a recreational computer user, the MacBook Air 13" base model is the best choice for you. I've owned one (out of at least two dozen computers in my life) and it was the 2nd best computer ever...right behind my current $2200 (overkill) MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Last edited by JMLVMI; 05-28-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: HUGE Image...thought the forum resized it for me.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Iím one of those peeps in the minority that hate all things apple. ipods, ipads, macs, iphones...

until they stop being so controlling over what i can and can not install, what software must be used, provide the ability to usb transfer my data on/off of it, and put in my own expandable memory, iíll never own anything apple.

communistic is a good way to describe their control over their products

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Desktop- yes. We only have one computer in the house, it functions as our media machine/web access. Currently connected to a 42" LCD tv. It's a little inconvenient for web browsing, but whatever.
As far as Apple goes, I see the value of a manufacturer controlling both the hardware and software side of things, from a quality perspective, but I agree, their environment is too restrictive. For me, living in a desktop environment, hardware accessibility and the ability to change components is important. Processor, video, memory upgrades are something I look for. I find Apple too controlling, to challenging to upgrade components for newer versions. While there's something to be said for Apple's design ethos (their stuff looks good), I'm not willing to pay for it. Their performance certainly isn't worth the added cost.
I was reading wired.com today, they had mentioned Apple's '1984' commercial. If you listen to the background voice, it sounds like Apple has become what they were reviling when they made the commercial.

"We have created for the first time in all history a garden of pure ideology, where each worker may bloom, secure from the pests of any contradictory true thoughts.
Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.
We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause."
G
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
If you go HP laptop, my wife has been using their "Envy" line and, although it looks like some of the Apple products, she hates the mousepad. It's so large that your thumbs, fingers, etc accidentally touch it making the cursor jump to a completely different area. It's really annoying!!

Her boss jumped on real quickly to type something up and said, "man this mouse pad is annoying!...how can you work on it?!"

Anyways, just an fyi.

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
As far as apple goes, love them or hate them, they are a solid company. I was at a leadership conference a few weeks back and the speaker had sat in a room with a bunch of apple hot-shots. They were talking and mentioned that they turn good ideas down all day, every day. They say they only want excellent ideas, and that while they might be a multi-billion dollar company, they culd fit every single one of the products on an average persons kitchen table. Something to think about...

I don't use apple products either because I don't like how restrictive they are, but a whole lot of consumer dollars say people just don't care about that aspect of things.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Been using a Dell laptop for a year and a half very happily now.
Also, had a MacBook Pro for 7 good years before that. There hardware and software seems to last a while, but on the other hand technology changes so fast I don't ever want to keep using a laptop that long again.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I just got the new Microsoft Surface Pro. I can install whatever I want on it. It is a full version of Windows 8 pro. USB (killer) the stylus is amazing & core I5 & 4 gb ram.

It is what my business has been waiting for.

Apple has nothing to compare.

I want to get that new HP that breaks apart from the keyboard. Looks nice.

I also run a 23" dual screen in my home office (21" dials in my fiance's office) both on windows 8 & both I7's with at 8gb ram.

Windows may be last to the market. But they nailed it with windows 8 and the new surface pro's

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I had to :0
Attached Images