Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
What new computer would you get?

If you had to purchase a new computer what would you be getting? I was at Best Buy today and was a little surprised at all of the options you can get today from cheap lap tops to high end $$$ Apple products. There was something in every price range. I havent shopped for computers in 4 years. Wow things have changed...lol I had my eye on the 15" Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display.
So if you had to buy something today what would you be getting?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Boat: 06 X30
A HAL 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8dHc3VqKH4
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
MacBook Air ... love mine
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft 2012 X-25
Also a huge Macbook Pro fan... They just use the best hardware throughout their entire machine. Not just a few key selling points but the entire machine.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
I see we have a few Apple fans here. I was very impressed with the 15" Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display. Seems to be a very well built machine. Anyone have one and dont like it?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
How much do you know about computers, what do you want to do with it, how much do you want to spend? I'm a bit of an enthusiast, so I spec and build my own at Newegg. They've got some pretty well set-up systems. You'll need to add peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc), and they should be powerful enough for most needs. Pre-built systems from the major mfgs (Dell, HP, etc) are nice from a convenience standpoint, but I'm not a fan of proprietary hardware and drivers. More 'boutique' sellers (IBuyPower, CyberPower, etc) are pretty nice, and their configuration software allows you to spec out your system and get a price immediately. Plus, they'll make sure the hardware is all compatible, install your OS and make sure it's tested.
Bottom line, $4-500 for a good desktop for internet, word processing, etc. $750 is a decent gaming system/home theater, but $1000 is more the norm. Over about $1500 is a solid gaming system capable of running most games at the highest settings and CAD software won't lag much.
Figure out your usage and power needs, and go to town!!
G
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskof View Post
If you had to purchase a new computer what would you be getting? I was at Best Buy today and was a little surprised at all of the options you can get today from cheap lap tops to high end $$$ Apple products. There was something in every price range. I havent shopped for computers in 4 years. Wow things have changed...lol I had my eye on the 15" Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display.
So if you had to buy something today what would you be getting?
I work in IT and I (well my employer) just bought me a new ULTRA BOOK (a year ago now.) Definitely light, cool, sleek, and easy... Highly recommend an HP Ultra Book.

(from an Ipod, Iphone5, Ipad user - but I need something with a bit more power than an IPAD....)

Cj
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
My last two computers were speced and built on Alienware. They have some of the top components you will find anywhere.

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Not much of a computer person, but have been able to get arround on XP & Windows 7 with no issues. Recently bought a HP at a very reasonable price from Best Buy, no worries from the computer..............but if I had the chance to see one of those microsoft geeks that came out with windoows 8, he would find that computer shoved up where the sun does not shine.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
If you are looking to buy an Apple product I would advise against it at the moment. Refresh on laptops will be at WWDC the first part of June which will drive down prices on existing product lines and also give you some newer options to go with. You can't go wrong with an Apple product that is for sure.